Tofu Recipes and Cooking Tips
New to tofu? Here's everything you need to know to prepare and enjoy this versatile food.
4 Healthy Tofu Recipes
To help you get started cooking and enjoying tofu, here are four
easy-to-prepare tofu recipes to try.
14 ounces firm tofu
6 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons apple juice
1 teaspoon minced or crushed garlic
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely minced (or 1/4 teaspoon ground
- Cut block of tofu vertically into about 10 rectangular slices.
- In large measuring cup, blend remaining ingredients to make teriyaki sauce.
Pour sauce into 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Arrange tofu slices in sauce. Turn slices over to coat. Broil 10-15
minutes, then flip tofu slices over and broil 8-10 minutes longer.
Yield: 4 servings
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as: 1 serving tofu without
added fat OR 1 vegetarian patty without added fat OR 1/2 cup hearty stews,
chili, bean soup OR 1/4 cup starchy foods and legumes with 1 tablespoon fat
Nutritional Information per serving: 135 calories, 8.4 g protein, 13
g carbohydrate, 5.9 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1.3 g fiber,
779 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 37%.
Vegetable Souffle Squares
6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts
1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 cups diced firm tofu, drained well
1 cup grated zucchini, grated (about 1 zucchini)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 4 egg whites)
1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs (or seasoned breadcrumbs)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, or to taste
1/2-1 teaspoon Tabasco, or to taste
1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray an 8x8-inch (or 9x9-inch) baking dish
with canola cooking spray.
- Open artichoke hearts and empty into a colander. Rinse well and drain. Cut
larger pieces into small chunks; set aside.
- Add canola oil to a medium nonstick frying pan and heat over medium heat.
Add onion, garlic, and tofu, and saute for 3-5 minutes. Stir in artichoke heart
pieces and grated zucchini and stir well. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, add eggs, egg substitute, breadcrumbs, oregano, salt,
pepper, and Tabasco. Beat on low until well blended. Stir in cheese, parsley,
and artichoke heart mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until egg
batter is firm. Let sit 5-10 minutes and cut into small appetizer-size square
servings or larger entree servings. Serve hot or cold.