More Appetizing Appetizers Light 7-Layer Dip
Journal as: 1/8 cup legumes without added fat + 1/2 ounce low-fat cheese + 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt (OR) as 1/2 cup of hearty stew.
Everyone loves this fun party dip, even kids! Keep it light by serving it with reduced-fat tortilla chips (homemade or store-bought) or reduced-fat crackers. Include 1/2 cup store-bought guacamole or make homemade by blending the following together in a small food processor:
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
2 teaspoons lime juice, fresh or bottled
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons salsa
Garlic powder or garlic salt to taste (optional)
Black pepper to taste
8 ounces fat-free sour cream
1-ounce packet taco seasoning mix
15-ounce can fat-free or vegetarian refried beans
1 cup diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese blend (i.e. Jack and cheddar)
2 1/4-ounce can sliced black olives (optional)
- Make guacamole if you haven't already and set aside.
- In small bowl, blend sour cream with taco seasoning.
- Spread the refried beans in the bottom of a deep-dish pie plate (you can warm the beans up in the microwave briefly to make them more spreadable.)
- Top the beans with the sour cream mixture then top that with the guacamole.
- Spread the tomatoes on top then sprinkle the green onions over the top, followed by the shredded cheese and black olives if desired.
- Serve with reduced-fat tortilla chips or reduced-fat crackers.
Makes 16 appetizer servings.
Per serving (dip only): 85 calories, 5.2 grams protein, 6.4 grams carbohydrate, 4.4 grams fat (1.9 grams saturated fat, 1.9 grams monounsaturated, .3 grams polyunsaturated fat), 7 milligrams cholesterol, .7 grams fiber, 258 milligrams sodium. Calories from fat: 46% .
Mini Veggie Frittatas
Journal as: 1 egg + 1 serving vegetables without fat
This is a festive-looking appetizer with the green and red vegetables used. They work well as a finger food too. To double the recipe, just double the ingredients and use two muffin pans (12 cups each).