Overnight CrÃ¨me Brulee French Toast continued...
- Coat 9 x 13-inch baking dish with canola cooking spray. Melt margarine or butter in a small nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Mix in reduced calorie pancake syrup, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Remove crusts from bread and arrange slices in the baking dish in a single layer on top of the brown sugar mixture (enough slices to cover the bottom of the pan).
- In small bowl, whisk together eggs, egg substitute, fat free half-and-half, vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier, and salt. Pour mixture evenly over the bread. Cover well and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Remove the dish from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes until puffed and lightly browned. Serve with fresh fruit and a dollop of light whipped cream if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 294 calories, 12 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat (1.5 g saturated fat, 2.1 g monounsaturated fat, 1.8 g polyunsaturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 537 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20 percent
After talking with a few friends and neighbors, I discovered, to my surprise, that many people celebrate Christmas morning with an egg strata type dish. It actually makes sense -- it's a complete breakfast all rolled into one breakfast entrÃ©e (except the fruit). This recipe contains bread, a serving or two from the meat and egg group, some vegetables and some dairy. That pretty much covers it.
7 slices of whole wheat bread, cubed (not the small sized slices)
canola cooking spray
2 cooked boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2/3 cup chopped green pepper
2/3 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped celery
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1/3 cup fat free sour cream (light can be substituted)
1 large egg
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 cup fat free half and half (lowfat milk can be substituted)
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 can Campbell's Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese