Ways to Treat Your Headaches Without Drugs
You may not need a doctor's prescription to treat your headaches. You can often find relief in other ways, without medication:
- Apply an ice pack to the painful part of your head. Try placing it on your forehead, temples, or the back of your neck. Be sure you wrap it in a cloth first to protect your skin.
- Take a warm bath or shower, take a nap, or take a walk.
- Ask someone to rub your neck and back, or treat yourself to a massage.
- Apply gentle, steady, rotating pressure to the painful area of your head with your index finger or thumb. Maintain pressure for 7 to 15 seconds, then release. Repeat as needed.
- Rest, sit, or lie quietly in a low-lit room. Close your eyes and try to release the tension in your back, neck, and shoulders.
- If you have a lot of muscle contractions in your neck, it may help to do physical therapy exercises every day.
© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.