FDA Warns of Allergy to Denture Cleansers
Chemical in Denture Cleansers May Trigger Risky Allergic Reactions
Feb. 26, 2008 -- Use denture cleansers? The FDA wants you to watch for
allergic reactions and make sure you use those products as directed -- and
never in the mouth.
The FDA says it's received 73 reports of allergic reactions, including at
least one death, linked to denture cleansers.
A denture cleanser ingredient called persulfate is "the most likely
cause of the problem," states the FDA's web site. Persulfates are used in
most denture cleansers as part of the cleaning and bleaching process.
The FDA is asking makers of denture cleansers to change their products'
labels to make it clear that the products are designed to clean dentures in a
container -- not in the mouth -- and to consider using alternatives to
Meanwhile, here's what the FDA wants denture cleanser users to do:
- Read all instructions carefully.
- Never chew, swallow, or gargle with denture cleansers.
- Always thoroughly rinse dentures and other dental appliances before placing
in the mouth.
- Remember that reactions may not occur right away.
- If symptoms do occur, remove dentures and contact the prescribing
- Ask the prescribing dentist about using an alternative method for cleaning
Possible signs of allergic reaction may include
irritation, tissue damage, rash, hives, gum tenderness,
breathing problems, and low blood pressure
Allergic to Persulfate
Some of the reported allergic reactions happened when patients misused
denture cleansers by gargling with or swallowing the products, which caused
abdominal pain, vomiting, seizures, low blood
pressure (hypotension), and difficulty breathing.
But allergic reactions can also occur with proper use of the products, the
Allergic reactions to persulfate may begin right away or after many years of
use, and they may worsen with repeated use of the products. People at risk are
those who are allergic to persulfates and those who can't read or understand
product labels, notes the FDA.