Skip to content

    Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Health Center

    Font Size

    Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - When To Call a Doctor

    Call 911 or go to an emergency room immediately if you notice sudden loss of feeling in your arm.

    Call your doctor if you:

    Recommended Related to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

    Pinched Nerve

    The term "pinched nerve" describes one type of damage or injury to a nerve or set of nerves. The injury may result from compression, constriction, or stretching. Symptoms include numbness, "pins and needles" or burning sensations, and pain radiating outward from the injured area. One of the most common examples of a single compressed nerve is the feeling of having a foot or hand "fall asleep." Pinched nerves can sometimes lead to other conditions such as peripheral neuropathy. The extent of such...

    Read the Pinched Nerve article > >

    • Have tingling, numbness, weakness, or pain in your fingers or hand that keeps coming back or that has not gone away after 2 weeks of home treatment.
    • Have gradually developed little or no feeling in your fingers or hand.
    • Cannot do simple hand movements, or you accidentally drop things.
    • Cannot pinch your thumb and index finger together, or your pinch is weak.
    • Cannot use your thumb normally (diminished thumb strength).
    • Have problems at work because of pain in your fingers or hand.

    Watchful waiting

    You can treat mild symptoms of wrist and hand pain or numbness at home. You may try home treatment for 1 to 2 weeks before calling your doctor.

    Who to see

    To check your symptoms, you may first want to consult the doctor who provides care for your other health conditions, especially conditions that may be contributing to carpal tunnel syndrome. (Health conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, hypothyroidism, or diabetes can all lead to carpal tunnel syndrome.) Or, you may choose to see:

    For more testing, see:

    For treatment, see:

    • An orthopedic surgeon.
    • A physical or occupational therapist specializing in hands or overuse injuries.
    • A specialist who identifies workplace situations that contribute to repetitive-motion injuries (an ergonomist).
    • A hand surgeon.

    For surgery, see:

    To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.

    WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise

    Last Updated: November 14, 2014
    This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
    Next Article:

    Today on WebMD

    illustration of nerves in hand
    Elderly patient undergoing water therapy
    Nerve Pain Slideshow
    Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Symptoms
    neural fiber
    acupuncture needles in woman's back
    Woman opening window
    Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery