Simplicity, Graco Cribs Recalled
Crib Recalls Due to Suffocation and Entrapment Risk; One Baby's Death Linked to Recalled Simplicity Crib
WebMD News Archive
April 29, 2010 --
Certain Simplicity and Graco cribs are being recalled because of the risk
of entrapment, suffocation, and strangulation.
One child's death has been linked to a recalled Simplicity crib, and there
have been 112 other cases of problems with the recalled Graco and Simplicity
cribs, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
Simplicity Crib Recall
The Simplicity crib recall includes all full-size cribs with tubular metal
mattress-support frames. The recall includes -- but is not limited to -- these
- Aspen 4-in-1 (model number 8755)
- Chelsea Deluxe 4-in-1 Convertible Sleep System (model number
- Graco 4-in-1 Ultra Sleep System (model number 4600)
- Graco Aspen 3-in-1 (model number 8740)
- Simplicity Crib and Changer Combo (model number 8994)
- Simplicity Ellis Deluxe 4-in-1 Convertible Sleep System (model
- Simplicity Nursery-in-a-Box Convertible Crib (model number
Stop using those cribs immediately and don't try to fix them, the CPSC
Because Simplicity and its successor, SFCA Inc., are no longer in business,
the CPSC says it has "limited information" about the number of cribs sold.
"All Simplicity drop-side cribs have previously been recalled for a hazard
involving the drop side" but might still be in use by parents or caregivers who
are unaware of those previous recalls, the CPSC states in a news release.
The problem: The cribs' tubular metal mattress-support frame can bend
or detach and cause part of the mattress to collapse, creating a space where an
toddler can roll and become wedged, entrapped, or fall out of the crib.
Reported cases: The CPSC has gotten a report of a 1-year-old boy in
North Attleboro, Mass., who suffocated when he became entrapped between the
crib mattress and crib frame.
The CPSC has also gotten 13 other reports involving the recalled cribs
collapsing due to the metal mattress-support frame bending or detaching. Those
cases include one child entrapment that did not result in injury, and one child
who suffered minor cuts to his head when his mattress collapsed and he fell out
of the crib.
Graco Crib Recall
The Graco crib recall includes about 217,000 Graco-branded drop-side cribs
made by LaJobi Inc. of Cadbury, N.J.
Here are the recalled Graco cribs:
- Ashleigh Drop Side: Model numbers 3280142, 3280154, 3280181
- Hampton Drop Side: Model number 3080136
- Jason Convertible Drop Side: Model numbers 3290235, 3290254,
- Kendal Drop Side: Model numbers 3570170, 3570181
- Lauren Drop Side: Model numbers 3250235, 3250242, 3250247, 3250254,
3250281, 3250282, 3150281, 3150282
- Rachel Convertible Drop Side: Model numbers 3300236, 3300281
- Sarah Drop Side: Model numbers 3000135, 3000136, 3000142, 3000147,
- Shannon Drop Side: Model numbers 3010136, 3010154, 3010181
- Tifton Drop Side: Model numbers 3090136, 3270136
Stop using those cribs immediately and contact LaJobi for a free kit that
will immobilize the drop side. Call LaJobi at 888-8423-2215 anytime, or visit
the safety information page of the company's web site.