Cross These Dangerous Toys Off Xmas List: Experts
Annual 'Trouble in Toyland' report cites playthings that could choke or poison a child
WebMD News Archive
By Dennis Thompson
TUESDAY, Nov. 26, 2013 (HealthDay News) -- Toxic or dangerous toys can still be found on store shelves despite tough new federal regulations, according to a report released Tuesday.
Researchers found toys for sale that contained toxic levels of lead, cadmium, antimony and phthalates, said this year's "Trouble in Toyland" report from the U.S. Public Interest Research Group (PIRG).
One vinyl toy, the Marvel Super Hero Squad Soft Shield, contained 29 times the legal limit of lead.
"That toy is recommended for ages 2 and up," said Andrew Fish, a program associate with the Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group. "It really shouldn't be recommended for anyone at that level."
A Lamaze-brand infant play mat contained high levels of antimony, a toxic metal that has been classified as a cancer-causing agent. A Ninja Turtles Pencil Case contained high levels of phthalates and cadmium. Phthalates are chemicals suspected to cause developmental health effects. Cadmium is a toxic metal that can cause learning disabilities and kidney problems.
U.S. PIRG researchers also found the following:
- Toys that still pose a choking hazard, despite a ban on small parts in toys for children under 3 years old
- Toys that are potentially harmful to children's hearing
- Toys containing small powerful magnets that can be dangerous if swallowed
Magnets are a particular concern. If a child swallows more than one, the magnets can stick together inside their bodies and cause internal damage.
"Magnet toys are much stronger than they have been in the past, and therefore pose a greater health risk, especially to young children because they routinely put toys in their mouths," Fish said.
A 2-year-old child suffered intestinal tears in January after swallowing 62 rare earth magnets, the report found. Between 2009 and 2011 there were 1,700 emergency room visits following the ingestion of magnets. More than 70 percent of those cases involved children between ages 4 and 12.
The U.S. PIRG report also raised concerns regarding excessively loud toys that could harm a child's hearing.
The group tested toys based on standards that consider anything above 85 decibels dangerous to human ears, and sounds above 65 decibels dangerous for toys meant to be held close to the ear. Prolonged exposure can lead to gradual hearing loss.