What is an Audiologist?

Medically Reviewed by Dan Brennan, MD on June 23, 2021

Audiologists are healthcare professionals who specialize in hearing and balance disorders. They work with patients of all ages. They educate their patients on the effects of noise on hearing and fit them with protective hearing devices, hearing aids, and assistive listening devices. They also aid in research related to hearing loss, tinnitus, and balance system dysfunction.

They frequently work in:

  • Private practices
  • Physicians’ offices
  • Hospitals
  • Schools
  • Colleges and universities
  • Rehabilitation centers, long-term and residential healthcare facilities

They provide services that help improve the quality of life of people with hearing and balance conditions.

What Does an Audiologist Do?

Audiologists diagnose, manage, and treat hearing and balance problems in everyone from newborns to older people. They will review a patient’s medical history and evaluate hearing or balance. If they believe a condition might be medically treatable, they will refer you to the appropriate doctor. Otherwise, they will help you to manage the condition through audiologic care and treatment, which may include hearing aids, aural rehabilitation, or balance therapy.

Education and Training

Audiologists are healthcare professionals certified and licensed in the practice of audiology.

Their training involves completing:

  • A master’s degree in audiology from an accredited university. 
  • A fellowship or externship year
  • An exam to become certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
  • State licensing exams
  • Continuing education requirements in order to renew their licenses

While someone can be certified and licensed as an audiologist with only a master’s degree, many audiologists have a doctorate in audiology (AuD).

Reasons to See an Audiologist

You should see an audiologist if you suspect that you may have a hearing loss. Common early signs of hearing loss include:

  • Needing to turn the volume of the TV or radio up higher than other people would like
  • Difficulty understanding speech when there is background noise present
  • More difficulty hearing women and children than men
  • Difficulty hearing in meetings or at public speaking events
  • Ringing in one or both ears when no external sound is present
  • Difficulty hearing people with “low voice”
  • Frequently needing people to repeat themselves 

You should also consult an audiologist if you experience occasional or ongoing dizziness or problems with balance. 

However, if you are experiencing unexplained issues with balance or dizziness, you should first consult a medical doctor. In addition, you should immediately seek emergency care if you experience any of the following symptoms:

What to Expect at the Audiologist

If you are seeing an audiologist for reasons related to dizziness or balance, they will perform a detailed balance evaluation designed to determine:

  • The location and cause of the symptoms
  • Any changes in the balance function
  • The relationship between functional balance and vision, the inner ear, and other sensory systems.

If you suspect hearing loss, an office visit with an audiologist will begin with the audiologist taking a detailed personal and family history. The audiologist will then examine the outer ear with an otoscope to check for external trauma, ear infection, or earwax buildup. The audiologist will then begin the audiological evaluation. Tests may include (but are not limited to):

  • Tympanometry, the measurement of eardrum movement and pressure variation
  • Pure-tone testing to determine whether the patient’s hearing falls within normal limits
  • Speech recognition
  • Other tests of auditory function

After performing these tests, the audiologist will make recommendations for treatment and/or management.

WebMD Medical Reference



Academy of Doctors of Audiology: “FAQ.”

Academy of Doctors of Audiology: “What is an Audiologist?”

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association: “Audiology Information Series: Dizziness and Balance.”

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association: “Who Are Audiologists, and What Do They Do?”

John Hopkins University: “What is an Audiologist?”

© 2021 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.