Whether you're trying to find out if your child has ADHD, or they have already been diagnosed, there are questions that many parents have, including diagnosis, treatment, and managing school, work or day-to-day activities.
To get answers, you can talk about it with your child's doctor or other health care professional.
These 10 questions will help you get the discussion started:
- What's involved in finding out if my child has ADHD?
- What are the treatments for ADHD and how will I know if the treatments are working?
- What are the possible side effects of different ADHD medications?
- What types of therapy may help?
- Do exercise, sleep, and diet make a difference in ADHD?
- What can I do to help my child succeed in school?
- Are there any supplements or no-prescription ("over-the-counter") medications to take or avoid?
- How do I explain my child's diagnosis to my child, friends, and family?
- How long will my child need to be on medication or can he or she outgrow the symptoms?
- Where can I find support and more resources?