Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) Tracy Frankel/The Image Bank
2) Robbert Koene
3) Altrendo Images
4) Ian Hooton/The Agency Collection
5) Erik Isakson/Blend Images
6) Peter Cade/The Image Bank
7) Stephen Simpson/Workbook Stock
8) Ruth Jenkinson/Dorling Kindersley
9) Erik Isakson/Blend Images
10) Smith Collection/Stone
11) Lori Adamski Peek/Workbook Stock
13) Maria Teijeiro/OJO Images
14) John Rensten/The Image Bank
15) Jonathan Knowles/Riser
16) Chris Rogers/Photolibrary
17) Phillip and Karen Smith/Iconica
18) Jose Luis Pelaez Inc/Blend Images
19) Peter Griffith/Photodisc
20) Erik Isakson/Blend Images
21) John Lund & Sam Diephuis/Blend Images
22) Neil Borden/Photo Researchers
23) Stephen Simpson/Workbook Stock
24) Noe Montes/FoodPix
25) Mark Williams/Stone
26) Jamie Grill/Blend Images
27) Southern Stock/Botanica
28) Liam Norris/Cultura
29) Mitch Diamond/Photolibrary
American Academy of Family Physicians.
American College of Sports Medicine.
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
American Council on Exercise.
American Diabetes Association.
American Physiological Society.
Artal, R. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 2003.
Association of Reproductive Health Professionals.
Davenport, M. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, June 2011.
Downs, D. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, March-April 2004.
Hopkins, S. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, May 2010.
March of Dimes.
National Institute of Child Health & Human Development.
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Weight-control Information Network.
National Sleep Foundation.
New York Times web site.
News release, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Runner's World web site.
State Government of Victoria, Better Health Channel.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health
Reviewed by Nivin Todd, MD on May 31, 2020
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.