Sash, a safety with the New York Giants who was cut by the team in 2013, was 27 when he was found dead Sept. 8 in his Iowa home. He died from an accidental overdose of pain medications, The New York Times reported.
His family donated his brain to be tested for chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a brain disease caused by repeated hits to the head that has been detected in dozens of former NFL players after death.
The Sash family were told last by experts at Boston University and the Concussion Legacy Foundation that Tyler had CTE and that the disease was at an advanced stage rarely seen in someone so young, The Times reported.
Tyler Sash was cut by the Giants after he suffered at least his fifth concussion. After his return to Iowa, his behavior grew increasingly erratic and he had episodes of memory loss, confusion and minor outbursts of temper.
His inability to focus prevented him from finding meaningful employment, The Times reported.