IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) Pr. J. Bernard / CNRI / Science Source
2) (Clockwise from top left) kirstypargeter / Thinkstock, AntonioGuillem / Thinkstock, Image Source / Getty Images
3) Sebastian Kaulitzki / Thinkstock
4) Gunilla Elam / Science Source
5) (Clockwise from left) Thinkstock / Thinkstock, tab1962 / Thinkstock, kzenon / Thinkstock
6) AVOCAL / Thinkstock
7) Science Source / Science Source
8) The Image Bank / Getty Images
9) 6okean / Thinkstock
10) BSIP / Medical Images
11) Thomas Barwick / Getty Images
12) STEVE GSCHMEISSNER / Science Source
13) bdspn / Thinkstock
14) Jose Oto / Science Source
15) VOISIN / PHANIE / Science Source
16) Geoff Tompkinson / Science Source
17) Colin Cuthbert / Science Source
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society: "Acute Myeloid Leukemia," "Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Diagnosis," "Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Chemotherapy and Drug Therapy," "Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Treatment," "Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Stem Cell Transplantation."
Cancer.Net: "Leukemia - Acute Myeloid - AML: Statistics," "Leukemia - Acute Myeloid - AML: Diagnosis."
Genetic and Rare Disease Information Center: "Acute myeloid leukemia."
Cell: "The origin and evolution of mutations in Acute Myeloid Leukemia."
National Cancer Institute: "Adult Acute Myeloid Leukemia Treatment (PDQ®)–Patient Version."
American Cancer Society: "What Are the Risk Factors for Acute Myeloid Leukemia?" "Signs and Symptoms of Acute Myeloid Leukemia," "How Is Acute Myeloid Leukemia Diagnosed?" "How Is Acute Myeloid Leukemia Classified?" "Chemotherapy for Acute Myeloid Leukemia," "Treatment Response Rates for Acute Myeloid Leukemia," "Targeted Therapy for Acute Myeloid Leukemia," "If You Have Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML)," "Radiation Therapy for Acute Myeloid Leukemia," "What Happens After Treatment for Acute Myeloid Leukemia?"
Encyclopaedia Britannica: "Blood cell formation."
National Cancer Institute: "NCI Dictionary of Cancer Terms: bone marrow."
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD on August 21, 2018
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.