What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering CIPROFLOXACIN-D5W Solution, Intravenous Piggyback to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Only When Necessary: REPORTS OF ARTHROPATHY WITH QUINOLONES IN ANIMAL STUDIES; CONSIDER RISK/BENEFIT
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: INSUFFICIENT DATA AVAILABLE; LIMITED DATA SUGGEST MINIMAL AMOUNT EXCRETED
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Endocrine-Hypoglycemia risk; monitor closely in diabetes. Musculoskeletal-Risk for tendinitis/tendon rupture increases with corticosteroid use. Cardiovascular-Elderly may be more susceptible to QT-prolongation. Correct electrolytes (e.g. K, Mg). Increased rate of aortic aneurysm and dissection within two months of use, Neuro/Psych-Risk for peripheral neuropathy; may affect walking and increase fall risk. Follow for confusion, anxiety, insomnia. Renal-Adjust dose for CrCL< 50 mL/min.
Giving CIPROFLOXACIN-D5W Solution, Intravenous Piggyback to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Potential risk of musculoskeletal adverse reactions. Arthropathy and cartilage erosion observed in juvenile animal studies. No safety and efficacy age < 1 year. Rare use for plague, anthrax, or other circumstances of multidrug resistant bacteria.
- Severe Precaution: Increased risk of musculoskeletal adverse reaction, tendinitis, tendon rupture during or post treatment, and potential arthropathy. Immediate release oral dose form approved for age>1 year.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.