Selected HMG-CoA Reductase Inhibitors/Rifampin Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Rifampin may increase how quickly your intestines and liver process your cholesterol medicine.
What might happen:
The amount of cholesterol medicine in your blood may decrease. It may not work as well and your cholesterol levels may not decrease as much.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. If you are going to be taking rifampin for a long time, your doctor may want to check your cholesterol level while you are taking rifampin to see if your cholesterol medicine is still working. Your doctor may want to change your cholesterol medicine to one that does not interact with rifampin. If your cholesterol medicine is atorvastatin, you should take your atorvastatin and rifampin at the same time daily. If you are unsure what cholesterol medicine you are taking, ask your pharmacist.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Kyrklund C, Backman JT, Kivisto KT, Neuvonen M, Laitila J, Neuvonen PJ. Rifampin greatly reduces plasma simvastatin and simvastatin acid concentrations. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2000 Dec;68(6):592-7.
- 2.Backman JT, Luurila H, Neuvonen M, Neuvonen PJ. Rifampin markedly decreases and gemfibrozil increases the plasma concentrations of atorvastatin and its metabolites. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2005 Aug; 78(2):154-67.
- 3.Lipitor (atorvastatin) US prescribing information. Pfizer Inc. April, 2019.
- 4.Pravachol (pravastatin sodium) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company July, 2016.
- 5.Lescol (fluvastatin sodium) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation October, 2012.
- 6.Kyrklund C, Backman JT, Neuvonen M, Neuvonen PJ. Effect of rifampicin on pravastatin pharmacokinetics in healthy subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2004 Feb;57(2):181-7.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.