Atorvastatin (<= 10 mg); Lovastatin/Cyclosporine Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
The cause of the interaction is not known.
What might happen:
You may experience muscle aches, tenderness, or weakness.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Your doctor may want to change the dose of your cholesterol medicine or you may need to take a different cholesterol medicine.Tell your doctor right away if you experience muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness; unexplained tiredness; or discolored urine.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Lipitor (atorvastatin) US prescribing information. Pfizer Inc. August, 2018.
- 2.Mevacor (lovastatin) US prescribing information. Merck & Co., Inc. February, 2014.
- 3.Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium trihydrate) UK summary of product characteristics. Pfizer Limited June, 2012.
- 4.Lescol (fluvastatin sodium) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation October, 2012.
- 5.Pravachol (pravastatin sodium) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company July, 2016.
- 6.Crestor (rosuvastatin calcium) US prescribing information. AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP September, 2018.
- 7.Hermann M, Asberg A, Christensen H, Reubsaet JL, Holdaas H, Hartmann A. Atorvastatin does not affect the pharmacokinetics of cyclosporine in renal transplant recipients. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2005 Mar;61(1):59-62.
- 8.Taylor PJ, Kubler PA, Lynch SV, Allen J, Butler M, Pillans PI. Effect of atorvastatin on cyclosporine pharmacokinetics in liver transplant recipients. Ann Pharmacother 2004 Feb;38(2):205-8.
- 9.Asberg A, Hartmann A, Fjeldsa E, Bergan S, Holdaas H. Bilateral pharmacokinetic interaction between cyclosporine A and atorvastatin in renal transplant recipients. Am J Transplant 2001 Nov;1(4):382-6.
- 10.Renders L, Mayer-Kadner I, Koch C, Scharffe S, Burkhardt K, Veelken R, Schmieder RE, Hauser IA. Efficacy and drug interactions of the new HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors cerivastatin and atorvastatin in CsA-treated renal transplant recipients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2001 Jan; 16(1):141-6.
- 11.Muck W, Mai I, Fritsche L, Ochmann K, Rohde G, Unger S, Johne A, Bauer S, Budde K, Roots I, Neumayer HH, Kuhlmann J. Increase in cerivastatin systemic exposure after single and multiple dosing in cyclosporine-treated kidney transplant recipients. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1999 Mar;65(3):251-61.
- 12.Park JW, Siekmeier R, Merz M, Krell B, Harder S, Marz W, Seidel D, Schuler S, Gross W. Pharmacokinetics of pravastatin in heart-transplant patients taking cyclosporin A. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 2002 Oct; 40(10):439-50.
- 13.Olbricht C, Wanner C, Eisenhauer T, Kliem V, Doll R, Boddaert M, O'Grady P, Krekler M, Mangold B, Christians U. Accumulation of lovastatin, but not pravastatin, in the blood of cyclosporine-treated kidney graft patients after multiple doses. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1997 Sep;62(3):311-21.
- 14.Capone D, Stanziale P, Gentile A, Imperatore P, Pellegrino T, Basile V. Effects of simvastatin and pravastatin on hyperlipidemia and cyclosporin blood levels in renal transplant recipients. Am J Nephrol 1999; 19(3):411-5.
- 15.Akhlaghi F, McLachlan AJ, Keogh AM, Brown KF. Effect of simvastatin on cyclosporine unbound fraction and apparent blood clearance in heart transplant recipients. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1997 Dec;44(6):537-42.
- 16.Holdaas H, Hagen E, Asberg A, Lund K, Hartman A, Vaidyanathan S, Prasad P, He YL, Yeh CM, Bigler H, Rouilly M, Denouel J. Evaluation of the pharmacokinetic interaction between fluvastatin XL and cyclosporine in renal transplant recipients. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 2006 Apr; 44(4):163-71.
- 17.Locsey L, Asztalos L, Kincses Z, Balazs G. Fluvastatin (Lescol) treatment of hyperlipidaemia in patients with renal transplants. Int Urol Nephrol 1997;29(1):95-106.
- 18.Li PK, Mak TW, Chan TH, Wang A, Lam CW, Lai KN. Effect of fluvastatin on lipoprotein profiles in treating renal transplant recipients with dyslipoproteinemia. Transplantation 1995 Oct 15;60(7):652-6.
- 19.Holdaas H, Hartmann A, Stenstrom J, Dahl KJ, Borge M, Pfister P. Effect of fluvastatin for safely lowering atherogenic lipids in renal transplant patients receiving cyclosporine. Am J Cardiol 1995 Jul 13; 76(2):102A-106A.
- 20.Li PK, Mak TW, Wang AY, Lee YT, Leung CB, Lui SF, Lam CW, Lai KN. The interaction of fluvastatin and cyclosporin A in renal transplant patients. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 1995 Apr;33(4):246-8.
- 21.Park JW, Siekmeier R, Lattke P, Merz M, Mix C, Schuler S, Jaross W. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of fluvastatin in heart transplant recipients taking cyclosporine A. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 2001 Oct; 6(4):351-61.
- 22.Simonson SG, Raza A, Martin PD, Mitchell PD, Jarcho JA, Brown CD, Windass AS, Schneck DW. Rosuvastatin pharmacokinetics in heart transplant recipients administered an antirejection regimen including cyclosporine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2004 Aug;76(2):167-77.
- 23.Maltz HC, Balog DL, Cheigh JS. Rhabdomyolysis associated with concomitant use of atorvastatin and cyclosporine. Ann Pharmacother 1999 Nov; 33(11):1176-9.
- 24.Wong WM, Wai-Hung Shek T, Chan KH, Chau E, Lai KC. Rhabdomyolysis triggered by cytomegalovirus infection in a heart transplant patient on concomitant cyclosporine and atorvastatin therapy. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004 Aug;19(8):952-3.
- 25.Rodriguez ML, Mora C, Navarro JF. Cerivastatin-induced rhabdomyolysis. Ann Intern Med 2000 Apr 4;132(7):598.
- 26.Alejandro DS, Petersen J. Myoglobinuric acute renal failure in a cardiac transplant patient taking lovastatin and cyclosporine. J Am Soc Nephrol 1994 Aug;5(2):153-60.
- 27.Norman DJ, Illingworth DR, Munson J, Hosenpud J. Myolysis and acute renal failure in a heart-transplant recipient receiving lovastatin. N Engl J Med 1988 Jan 7;318(1):46-7.
- 28.East C, Alivizatos PA, Grundy SM, Jones PH, Farmer JA. Rhabdomyolysis in patients receiving lovastatin after cardiac transplantation. N Engl J Med 1988 Jan 7;318(1):47-8.
- 29.Tobert JA. Rhabdomyolysis in patients receiving lovastatin after cardiac transplantation (reply). N Engl J Med 1988 Jan 7;318(1):48.
- 30.Corpier CL, Jones PH, Suki WN, Lederer ED, Quinones MA, Schmidt SW, Young JB. Rhabdomyolysis and renal injury with lovastatin use. Report of two cases in cardiac transplant recipients. JAMA 1988 Jul 8;260(2):239-41.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.