This product is used to help the healing of burns and skin ulcers. Collagenase is an enzyme. It works by helping to break up and remove dead skin and tissue. This effect may also help antibiotics to work better and speed up your body's natural healing process.
To apply, wash hands first. Clean the area as directed by your doctor. Cleaning solutions such as hydrogen peroxide, normal saline, or Dakin's solution may be used. If your doctor has directed you to use an antibiotic powder, apply it first before applying this medication. Use a wooden spatula or a gauze pad to carefully apply the collagenase ointment directly to the affected area. Bandage securely. If you are unclear about how to clean the affected area or apply this medication, consult your doctor.
Avoid applying near the eyes. Be careful to apply the ointment only within the affected area. Wash hands thoroughly after applying the ointment.
Pain or a burning feeling at the affected area may occur. Temporary redness/irritation may also occur in the skin around the affected area. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly. To avoid redness/irritation in the surrounding skin, be careful to apply the ointment only within the affected area.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Treatment of burns and skin ulcers by breaking up and removing dead skin and tissue may rarely increase the risk for serious infection (sepsis). Tell your doctor right away if you notice any symptoms of serious infection, including: fever/chills, fast breathing (hyperventilation), fast heartbeat, warm skin, weakness.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before using collagenase, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
Avoid using solutions that contain acid or metal as soaking liquids because these will decrease the effect of collagenase ointment (see also Drug Interactions section).
Your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially of: antiseptic skin products (especially those containing heavy metals such as lead, mercury, silver).
Skin products containing heavy metals may decrease the effect of collagenase. If the affected area has been exposed to one of these products, wash the area well with normal saline solution before applying this ointment.
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature at or below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) away from light and moisture. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.Information last revised July 2016. Copyright(c) 2016 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet