Before taking this medication, my knees and legs were in constant, extreme pain. After a year of this (no side effects), I have a small amount of occasional pain. I believe alendronate has been very beneficial. I am thrilled with my successful outcome!

My doctor prescribed this drug for osteoporosis. I took it 3 times, once per week, and then stopped. My doctor thinks I'm still taking it, but I'm not....because from the beginning, I just "KNEW" this stuff was POISON. And after reading the many, many reviews about the HORRIFIC side-effects of this CRAP, I will NEVER even touch this stuff, EVER again. Someone should start a class-action suit!!...

nutmeg | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/25/2020
Condition: Post-Menopausal Osteoporosis Prevention

9 months out from just 2 doses (35 mg/week) and I am finally recovered from the severe arm, hand, and shoulder pain it triggered. A factor in my adverse reaction to alendronate is likely that I was also taking PPI's, which I learned later amplify absorption of alendronate. After the first dose, I noticed sharp pains in my fingers that came and went. After the second dose, the next day I had severe pain in my right forearm, which grew worse over the next few days. I switched to using my left arm, but then that forearm grew painful, too. (I also had a few cramps in my thigh muscles over the first few days, and some pain in the balls of my feet). Over the next few weeks my forearms slowly improved, but as I started using my arms more, I developed pain in my shoulders and fingers. With rest, everything slowly improved. I thought I was recovered at 5 months, but then I carried a heavy bag on my shoulder, which triggered 6 weeks of shoulder pain. Now, at 9 months, I'm pretty much okay.

Pris | 55-64 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
12/24/2019
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

I began taking Sodium Alendronate 70mg once a week in April 2019 at the recommendation (and my hesitation) of my GP whom I highly regard. I am 61 and have Osteoporosis. Otherwise, I am an active healthy woman. Soon after the second month I began to have chronic hip and low back pain. I thought it was from over exercising but the tightness in my joints and ligaments and pain lingers to this day. What is far more disconcerting is that I have mandibular tori (small bone growths in my lower jaw, under my tongue-never previously a problem nor change in size) and this past month I noticed a drastic increase in their size and sensitivity! After reading more extensively about osteonecrosis of the jaw I am most certain that the change in the tori is a result of this medication. I have decided to stop this treatment in the hopes that my joint/muscle pain and growth in the tori stop. I highly recommend extensive research prior to starting this drug. I am not convinced enough research has been done in the side effects vs. benefits. I will continue to eat healthy, take high quality calcium, magnesium and D3 and continue my normal exercise routine to try to combat osteoporosis naturally. I do not recommend this drug. The negative side effects do not outweigh the benefits for me.

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/1/2019
Condition: Post-Menopausal Osteoporosis Prevention

My question is why does the information on web MD say to take this pill daily?? This is a weekly medication, correct? This is dangerous information to the public because it is not accurate!!!

RobfromTexas | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/13/2019
Condition: Osteoporosis in Male Patient

I am a 59 year old male with Osteoporosis. Since taking this prescription, i vomit, suffer from a sore throat, experience more severe pain throughout my back, and just generally feel terrible. I’ve stopped taking the medication.

Anonymous | 65-74 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
4/3/2018
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

I am a small boned woman with pre-osteoporosis. My doctor prescribed Alendronate Sodium USP tablets 4 years ago. Last year I broke my right femur (thighbone), and this year my left femur broke. I've been in 2 convalescent homes where 70% of the women who had taken this drug were in there for broken femurs. Why aren't doctors protecting us from bad drugs?