I began Fosamax in 2005 with a diagnosis of severe osteoporosis of -3.8 at age 53. In 2011,my dexa scan was still-3.3, but I had no fractures. A random Vitamin D blood test showed I was severely deficient of vitamin D. I was put on 4000iu of vitamin D3 daily. My memory improved, my bone pain resolved, foot pain resolved, my vision improved, and urinary incontinence resolved, my diabetes improved! ...

No problem taking this medication. It is easy to swallow and only have to wait 15 minutes before having anything to eat or drink after taking the medications

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
3/15/2021

Was told I had osteopenia and should take it. Caused joint pain and after 5 yrs stopped it and my scans are fine. didn't need that drug.

Ana | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/1/2021
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

I took 1 tablet on Saturday morning as it was diagnosed, did not have any issue all day until I sat down for couple of hours before going to bed. when I got up, I had severe pain in my back, muscle spasm and pain on my sides and chest. I could not sleep in my bed since every little movement made the pain worse. Sunday I had severe pain and muscle spasm all day, Monday morning I could not get out of bed as the spasm got worse and worse and my husband had to help me get up. I am not sure what tomorrow will be like. My doctor is ordering a muscle relaxant so hoping this symptoms will go away soon. This is the worst medication that I have taken in my life. Never again, the side effects are worse than the help this medication is going to give you.

CAP | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/14/2020
Condition: Post-Menopausal Osteoporosis Prevention

I have only taken 3 doses of this medication. I have been very careful to take with a glass of water and stay in an upright position for an hour and have experienced no GERD issues. I have osteoarthritis and am in constant pain. It is hard to determine if the Fosomax is increasing the pain. My ribs have been aching since I started the medication so I would attribute that to the Fosomax.

dixiechick | 65-74 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/22/2020
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

I had pretty much all the side effects that they said are less than 1%. Hair loss, joint pain, swelling of hands and legs, lost of ability to grasp or hold anything in hands, confusion, cramps in legs, scared me badly. I took the medication for 3 weeks.

cjm | 65-74 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
9/3/2020
Condition: Post-Menopausal Osteoporosis Prevention

This is a second attempt to review. After taking fosamax for 2 years a test showed minimal improvement in bone density. Also after 2 years I began to experience increased knee pain and was told it was due to arthritis. I continued taking it and experienced increasing knee pain and decreased mobility. I exercise very diligently but instead of improving I continued to experience increased pain and decreased mobility. After reading reviews on this site, in particular someone saying they experienced muscle weakness, I stopped taking fosamax after 3 1/2 years. The difference is life changing. I was ready to investigate knee replacement due to the constant pain. Now, 7 1/2 months later I feel almost normal mobility, little discomfort, and I believe my knee joints look physically different, less distorted. Also, I am continuing to feel improvements. So grateful for the reviews here.