Although this medication was easy to use and stopped the nausea completely I was fully unprepared for the rare, and extremely frightening side effect I experienced. I had taken the medication with no problem for a bit when out of the blue my muscles started to contract in a bizarre twisting motion until I was horrifyingly paralyzed in what's known as a dystonic reaction. As if this were not enoug...

Madison | 19-24 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/5/2021

I took this drug through IV with a migraine cocktail (after a month straight migraine) with Benadryl and Toradol. This medication has made both my sister and I (who also suffers from migraines like me) overcome our nausea/vomiting but makes us both *extremely* irritable. The Benadryl made me simply feel exhausted but I remember feeling frustrated about how cold it was in the hospital. I was unable to quit moving/ get comfortable. Overall, I would still recommend taking this in combination with a calming drug like Benadryl.Read More Read Less

Diane | 19-24 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/4/2020
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

Compazine was given when I was pregnant, my side effect was jaw lock and eyes rolled back in head. Was going to bring up bur I knew if I did I would choke to death as my mouth would not open. Ended up in the emergency dept. dr. Took me off as I was allergic.

Anonymous | 45-54 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/3/2020
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

I was given Compazine many years ago for nausea/vomiting. I already have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis, and other issues. So when suddenly my jaw locks up, and I get all shaky and hot, my poor Mom thinks I'm having a stroke or something!! My heart starts to beat harder than ever too. We go to the ER and they give me an IV with some med that quickly got the Compazine out of my system. But what I will never forget is what the Doctor said to us, that bad reactions happen to 75% of the people that take Compazine. WHAT?!?! That is INSANE!!!! This medication should not be used or prescribed EVER again!!!!Read More Read Less

Twinmama | 45-54 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/18/2019
Condition: Feel Like Throwing Up

My Dr. prescribed Compazine for me after a sick visit with complaints of nauseousness. About 1hr after my 1st dose I didnâ??t feel so good. I was talking like my tongue was in the way but I didnâ??t notice. This was the beginning of things that my brain wouldnâ??t pick up on. Next, my neck was locked in an upward position with my eyes looking back as far as they could. After that my whole body was stiff. My toes curled,arms crossed over themselves with my wrists and fingers bent in. I felt like my whole body had a cramp. I couldnâ??t speak by the time the ambulance came. The hospital injected me immediately but after a few minutes the cramping came back again. With no way to communicate, I made my peace with God. I was 18 at the time. Now 47. Last thing I remembered was a nurse asking me if I was ok. I couldnâ??t answer. Just a tear rolled down my cheek. She mouthed some foul words and I was out. I believe this was another time God had spared me as he does every day I open my eyes once more. I also believe that this drug and anything of its kind should NEVER BE USED. Read More Read Less

nevereverever | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/20/2019
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

Yes, it stops you from vomiting, but the side effects are a thousand times less pleasant. (And I say that as a former emetophobe.) This drug is a literal nightmare. The physical discomfort and psychological anguish I felt while taking Compazine was indescribable, and something that no one seeking medical treatment should have to endure. I can only properly convey the intensity of my side effects using the following comparison: In the past, I’ve quit heroin without medical intervention. The misery of cold turkey opiate withdrawal was only marginally worse than the agitation, restlessness, cramping, dizziness, paranoia, panic, and utter hopelessness I experienced while using Compazine. I am fully aware of how dramatic all of this sounds. However, I am not typically a dramatic person, and I have a very high tolerance for physical and mental discomfort. This medication really was THAT bad. Use at your own risk. Read More Read Less

LabLover | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
7/13/2018
Condition: Feel Like Throwing Up

Spouse and I both have taken Compazine for nausea. Works WONDERFUL. No side effects for either of us and we have had this drub to combat IBS and GERD issues for years. Nausea hits at any time and Compazine has controlled it fast.

donottake | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/11/2018

This should be taken off the market. It causes severe akathesia in me and in others, they are all over the internet. It may not go away. BEWARE do NOT GIVE THIS>

Monica9 | 25-34 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/7/2018
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

It worked at relieving the nausea but after taking it for nearly 2 weeks I developed side effects. Extreme restlessness combined with exhaustion at the same time and on and off blurry vision. Two days after discontinuing it got chest pain with a high heart rate and ended up in the ER. 3 days later began having anxiety attacks and ended up getting prescribed Ativan to counteract the side effects. Don't know when the side effects will finally stop.

kelleybmk | 13-18 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/20/2017
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

! hour after taking I had an allergic reaction. My eyes rolled back into my head. My muscles in my body contracted. I needed an injection of muscle relaxer to bring me out of this reaction. i was told never to take this medicine again. Very scary experience!

AdaamsLight | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/29/2017
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting caused by Cancer Drugs

i have to use compazine, zofran,Phenergan (promethazine)and raglan to control the N/V Compazine IV works well to help control the N/V

MrsMack | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/23/2017
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

Oh I had severe reaction to this, mouth tongue face jaw twisted violently, a few times even my legs went haywire, did thousands of dollars of damage to my teeth if I could not grab a towel to put between them fast enough!! The pills took a couple hours to have the reaction it wasn't until I had the injection that it happened quickly and I put 2 2 together. Several Drs said it was not possible, got tested for everything from epilepsy to lyme disease to parathyroid and one opinion even suggested it was "all in my head". I found I am also allergic to all the phenothyazines and phenothiazides. There are other non related drugs out there that worked when I was nauseous after surgery. I hope my story helps someone else who also gets told the compazine is not the culprit !!Read More Read Less

captainbill6 | 45-54 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/10/2016
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting caused by Cancer Drugs

I started taking this due to taking Chemotheapy medicine, let me tell you I have never had such a bad reaction to a drug in my life. My face started to draw to one side and I couldn't close my mouth. Had to be taken to th ER and given like 4 different drugs to reverse the side effects. Steer clear of this medication.

GP Warrior | 35-44 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/29/2016
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

I have gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) and am often nauseous and vomiting a pretty good bit as well. When I can relax, be home and not worry about driving I take the compazine to combat this and most of the time it works great. Every once in a while I still end up throwing up, but for the most part, it's been wonderful.Nausea and vomiting is miserable.

not a fan | 19-24 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/20/2016
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

I took this medication and it stopped my liver from functioning during the time I took it. I literally almost died. While I have heard that it is a great drug, it is not for everyone.

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/24/2015
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

The only anti nausea/vomiting drug that works for me. None of the new ones do. Never had a side-effect other than getting a bit tired. Hard to tell if that is from med. or event; probably both.

PeaceJustinaandLove | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/19/2014

Worst experience of my life. I was given this antipsychotic for a tension headache. As soon as it hit my system from the IV I had an experience unlike anything I've ever imagined. I felt an utter sense of doom, hopelessness and depression. Tunnel vision set in, I had severe akasthisia - wanted to jump out of my skin, legs were jerking, face twitching, I almost ripped my IV out. The next month of my life was pure hell. I could not understand why I was on this earth, i was crying all the time, I had insomnia in addition to the symptoms above and the worst part is that it did not even relieve my headache!! I felt like a science experiment! no one understood what I was going through and the doctors would not help me. I got to the point where I wanted to die just to get out of the hell that was now my mind! I have never ever in my life felt that hopeless, doomed and terrified. I dealt with this for a whole month. This medication is a dopamine antagonist which means that it inhibits the release of dopamine. Dopamine is a feel good neurotransmitter. I realized that Compazine really did a number on reducing my dopamine levels. 2 years later, I am still traumatized by the memories of hopelessness and doom brought on by this medication. I have medication anxiety and I would rather die than suffer through this experience again. Im Telling you please consider all other options before you decide to take this one. Especially if you are prescribed this medication for the long term. It has terrible long term effects that are almost always guaranteed; tardive dyskinesia for example. Use with caution!Read More Read Less

KITTYKAT | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/8/2014

POSITIVE,WORKS QUICKLY

DownwCompazine | 13-18 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/5/2014
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

I suffer from severe chronic migraines and my doctor prescribed Compazine. The first time I used it, I was extremely tired. I slept nearly 24 hours straight. The next time I took it, I took half a pill and it did nothing. I took the other half a couple hours later and took a four hour nap. I started get neck cramps and I couldn't keep my head up. Two hours later, the cramps were worse and instead of tilting forward, my head was tilting backwards in an almost exorcist fashion. A family member rushed me to the hospital. By the time I got the benedryl injection, my back was also contracting and my eyes were rolling back. I do not recommend this drug. A family member, who works in a hospital, spoke with some nurses who said that reaction was really common. Heck, the doctor in the ER stated that it was really common. There are much better drugs to take for the nausea.Read More Read Less

J | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/22/2014
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

Don't even think of taking this drug! I took it for three days in the hospital after I got food poisioning, but after I got home I got lock jaw from it. Husband brought me home and went back to work before my symptoms started. I called him, screaming in pain to come home. When he got home I was having to hold the inside of my jaws open with my hands to keep them from collapsing. I almost committed suicide I was in so much pain! My doctor said the Compazine caused it.

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/21/2014
Condition: Nausea and Vomiting

I have CML and the med I take makes me very sick in my stomach sometimes. When that happens I just take one pill and within a few minutes I feel fine again.