I was prescribed this after a dental surgery. Within a week I was experiencing dry mouth and tong, irritated gums and tong, mouth sores, dry and irritated red lips and partial loss of taste. The side effects were outweighing the benefit. I discussed this with my dentist and he will prescribe a different oral rinse.

Julia | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/22/2021
Condition: Mouth Infection Prevention

Be very careful before using this rinse. I had a severe allergic reaction after only 3 rinses. I spent 4 days in the hospital on several strong medications with an intravenous in both hands.

Bobosam | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/12/2021
Condition: Inflammation of the Gums

I have periodontis and would brush and floss regularly but my gums would still bleed. I tried other mouthwashes and nothing helped. This was prescribed and I was afraid to use it because of the staining it said you might get. I eventually used it and it has helped tremendously. I only have a one tooth that bleeds a tad occasionally and when I went to the dentist and they probed me, no bleeding. That was unheard of for me. I actually go for cleanings every 3 months thats how bad my bleeding was. I get slight staining on the corners of my teeth and a slight build up of tartar. I noticed a canker sore every now and then but they never fully develop or last long. The taste is not bad at all and i think my tongue is a litte darker but for me the results outweigh the minor problems. Read More Read Less

Andy | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
2/18/2018
Condition: Mouth Infection Prevention

I have Sjogrens Syndrome and with loss of teeth due to no saliva production the microbiotic properties of CHX works very well. When I get sores inside my mouth they disappear usually overnight. I swear by this product and I have been using this for the past ten years. Its awesome.

Psfrank | 75 or over | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
5/14/2017
Condition: Inflammation of the Gums

Used it 20 yrs with irrigator and diluted 10 to one.

distressed | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/31/2016
Condition: Mouth Infection Prevention

I was prescribed this drug under the label name Acclean by my dentist after a deep cleaning procedure. After the 2nd use I experienced an itchy hive like rash bump on the outside of my mouth where maybe a slight drop touched and I noticed a slight redness and swelling on the left and right corners of my lower lip along with a slight numb tingling feeling.I rinsed my mouth with water 45 minutes after use and applied cold water repeatedly to the rash area.This extreme type of reaction after only 2 rinses is absolutely unacceptable for me. I was feeling fine with no mouth pain or rash prior to the rinse treatment. I am also in basically good health. I will NOT use this product again. I shudder to think what might happen to me in 6 days let alone 6 weeks. Please let the user beware. It's the weekend however I will report this to my dentist on next week and have this reaction added to my medical records at my doctor office when I go for my annual visit. One last thing the taste of the product remains in my mouth one hour 20 minutes now even after rinsing with clear water. Users may want to know this too. Read More Read Less

orapol | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/22/2016

I had an ulcer in one nostril for over three years. It bled often. Nothing touched it. Then I tried Paroex that was prescribed for my husband. I swabbed my nostril with a Q-tip dipped in this stuff and in less than four days, it is healed! I am thrilled! Nice minty smell, too.

Anonymous |
7/3/2016
Condition: Mouth Infection Prevention

have not been able to use it longer than a week..developed bad rash. anyone else?

crachelleb | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/25/2016

My tongue turned blackish brown...my ENT said this was the reason...how long will this stay on my tongue?

Anonymous | 13-18 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/30/2016
Anonymous | 19-24 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/9/2016
Condition: Canker Sore

When I went to the dentist last week, the hygienist noticed an ulcer in my mouth and asked me if I get them often. I have gotten them all my life and thought it was just a thing I had to deal with. The doctor gave me this mouthwash and it has tremendously helped my ulcers. If I get an ulcer and use this in the evening, by the morning time it is practically gone. If you have problems with ulcers, this may be something to ask your dentist about.

Billius53 | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/26/2015
Condition: Mouth Infection Prevention

Seems great. Did turn parts of my tongue brown black. That's the only reaction. Was prescribed post sinus graft surgery.

Eddie | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
10/24/2015

I use this as need for occasional mouth/gum sores. 3 or 4 days of use is generally enough. I always brush my teeth prior to use so have had no problems with staining.

Horriflying Experience | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/11/2015
Condition: Mouth Infection Prevention

I bought Peridex fr my dentist and my mouth was constantly buring, so after 1 week I stopped taking it. It was for my periodontal disease. I was taking herbal mouth wash from Whole foods all natural. Will try something I saw on Amazon.

Em | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/9/2015

This was swabed on me before surgery, after surgery and during the night, I couldn't sleep, I felt sick with nausea, pain in my head and stomach cramps. There was quite an amount the surgeon painted on my back and arm. 8 hrs after the operation I thought this could be the cause for my symptoms, and immediately washed it off. Within 1/2 an hour my symptoms had gone. It could even be a reaction of my body absorbing the colour of the clorhexidine. It was definitely not a result of the surgery.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/29/2015

My tongue is brow punish black. Dentist says just staining and common but no one else says that.

Belle | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/21/2014

Got my molar pulled and after 3 days my hard palate near the extraction site got wounded, perhaps the abscese was the cause. After 8 days, the site is healing well, but the wound was still there and was painful. I decided to use chlorhexidine twice a day (morning and night). After 2 days, the wound no longer that painful, and the redness was decreasing. So happy with this product, very effective. :)

Andi | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/27/2014
Condition: Mouth Infection Prevention

Prescribed by the dentist after a dental implant. Taste is fine (do not swallow), but teeth are now stained dark brown after 2 weeks use.

Happy patient | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/28/2013
Condition: Mouth Infection Prevention

After dental implant surgery, chlorhexidine gluc. was prescribed. Surprised at all the reported side effects since I had none. Not an unpleasant taste in my opinion and very effective at killing germs (which may of course cause an infection with newly sliced gums). Leaves you with a very clean-tasting mouth. One evening, I had a bad sore throat, not just a tickle, but instead painful just to swallow. Instead of just rinsing, I gargled with chorhexidine, right before bed. When I woke up, no soar throat...absolutely amazing. Where has this stuff been all my life? Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/27/2013

I am now realizing that this medicine may have caused all the proplems I am having in my mouth along with losing my taste.

sandrew | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/6/2012

Chlorhexidine gluconate was used to disinfect (I guess) my skin (vulva and rectum) prior to an outpatient procedure. Following the procedure I experienced severe burning and redness where the drug had been applied. The doctor attributed the reaction to the drug rather than anything related to the medical procedure. Other than the sensitivity I experienced, the drug was "effective."