I have been fortunate enough not to have any side effects during the 11 weeks I took this pill...well besides the first week when I had extreme nausea (from taking the pill on an empty stomach). I did not have any of the dreams or any other side effect. Where I went in Uganda Malaria has been very prevalent and I was bitten by mosquitos a lot of times but I never got sick from malaria. My experi...

Horrible. It gave everyone terrible vivid nightmares and mental distress.

Anonymous | 19-24 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/15/2018
Condition: Preventive Treatment of Vivax Malaria

I’m of African (sub Saharan) descent and had malaria couple of times so I’ve tried various medication for cure and for prevention. I believe that I have a very strong and intellectual mind and have never had any brain related dysfunctions nor have I witnessed/been aware of any, along my family lineage. This was the first time that I took mefloquine. I took mefloquine 250mg once a week for two weeks (before stopping)to prevent malaria as I was travelling to a malaria prone region. The first week was okay, I didn’t feel any different. After the second pill (subsequent week) I felt depressed 12 hours later. I rarely feel depressed and this was a first. At 24 hours after taking the pill, (peak concentration, in my body I suspect) I felt very restless and wanted to immediately go home (which was impossible because I was 17 hours from home). I suddenly felt like I was having a panic attack and couldn’t stand being next to anyone, I couldn’t trust or stand anyone (not even my girlfriend). I hid in the washroom and looked up symptoms of panic attacks ( never had one ) and it met all the criteria. My heart was racing, I felt like I needed to use the washroom all the time. I had suicidal thoughts because I felt like there was no point to life. I had thoughts of what if my closest family member died? These led to worse thoughts. I later fell asleep (after explaining what was going on) and had hallucinations. At 36hours I wanted to be alone but I wanted company, kept alternating between these two thoughts. I then realized that it was this drug that was messing up with my mind. I looked it up and saw the horrible side effects it had. But I could now monitor my thoughts and how the side effects were decreasing. At 48 hours I felt normal and could trust people again. Now that is my experience with the drug. I want to state that as a Christian I prayed a lot and took communion and it helped me know that I will make it through and that God was with me throughout.

Marwan | 35-44 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/30/2017
Condition: Malaria

This is by far the worst pill I have ever taken. It has increased my anxiety and insomnia. Had I known it was going to be this strong, I wouldn't have taken them. Seek other options.

Anonymous | 25-34 | Male | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
9/4/2013
Condition: Preventive Treatment of Vivax Malaria

Took the medication for 9 months while deployed to Afghanistan. Since starting I have had the worst and most vivid nightmares of my life. During one such nightmare attacked someone in the room with me. I have also been diagnosed with depression, a possible result from this medication. Despite being off it for several months the problems still persist.

Ammavila | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/29/2012
Condition: Falciparum Malaria Resistant to the Medication Chloroquine

I took Lariam during two different trips to Africa, a month-long trip and a three month trip a year later. I suffered from hallucinations, vivid dreams, and nightmares during which I sat bolt upright in my bed, screamed at the top of my lungs, yet didn't wake up. (My friends witnessed this, lucky them.) I had seizures. I physically attacked a friend who said she didn't have a light for my cigarette. (I was convinced that she was lying). I became so angry that my mind went red, I couldn't think, and I jumped her. I had to be pulled off her. I was in a manic state, couldn't sleep, grandiose thoughts, talking all the time. 15 years later, and I still talk in my sleep and have night terrors. I wouldn't wish this drug on my worst enemy. If I had to take it again I fully believe that I would wind up killing myself or someone else. This drug is an instrument of torture. No wonder they use it on prisoners at Guantanamo Bay!

Radar | 35-44 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
3/5/2012
Condition: Preventive Treatment of Vivax Malaria

Prescribed for military deployment to Afghanistan. No problems for 1st month (once per week). After one month--amazing "hi-def" dreams. Next came most HORRIFIC dreams screaming to awakening! Scared hell out of room-mate! Changed to doxicylene ASAP! Don't take this shit! YIKES!!!!