- At least 18 years of age
- Stable eyeglass and contact lense prescription for at least 2 to 3 years
- Stable vision over at least the past year
- No history or findings of active corneal disease
- No significant medical or eye problems, such as previous corneal ulcers, keratoconus (a progressive thinning of the cornea), diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, or glaucoma
- Not pregnant or nursing
- Eyeglass prescription within certain limits set by your eye surgeon
A good candidate also is one who, despite expecting improved vision, will still be OK with the idea of having to wear glasses under certain situations, such as when driving at night.