Eye Health News
Glaucoma: A Hidden Threat to Vision Health Rising Swiftly
- Avoid 2 Eye Drop Products, FDA Advises
August 24, 2023 — The FDA is urging the public to avoid buying or using two different kinds of eye drops because of possible bacterial or fungal contamination.
- Study Questions if Blue Light-Blocking Glasses Really Work
August 18, 2023 — Despite claims by their makers, blue light glasses probably don’t reduce eyestrain for people who spend a lot of time looking at computer screens or phones, according to an analysis published Thursday. The glasses probably don’t improve wearers’ sleep habits either, the study said.
- TikTok Craze for Castor Oil Is Dangerous, Eye Experts Say
August 7, 2023 — Eye health experts are speaking out to debunk the latest TikTok claims that castor oil can cure eye ailments.
- Protecting Your Eyes and Ears During the Summertime
July 26, 2023 — Summer is a time of fun and enjoyment, vacations, camp, and family trips. But many popular activities of summer, such as swimming, can have safety risks, especially to the eyes and ears.
- There May Be a Link Between Hot Weather and Poor Vision
June 30, 2023 — Older Americans living in warmer places tend to have more vision problems than older Americans living in cooler places, a new study says.
- Depression and Dry Eye Disease: Research Finds New Connection
June 14, 2023 — Doctors often note that patients with dry eye disease (DED) report low moods. Now, new research shows that the connection between dry eye disease and depression may actually be quite common. Here's what to know.
- Another Death, More Infections Linked to Recalled Eye Drops
May 22, 2023 — The number of people who developed treatment-resistant bacterial infections from tainted eye drops continues to grow. An additional 13 cases have been confirmed since the CDC’s last update in March, many of which were identified since the eye products were officially recalled.
- For Some LASIK Patients, Complications Damage Mental Health
May 9, 2023 — Since the dawning of the surgery, concerns have surfaced from a growing number of LASIK patients who aren’t satisfied with their results. While the majority of LASIK patients are satisfied, some have said the surgery has done more harm than good, and not just to their vision.
- Deadly Bacteria in Recalled Eyedrops Can Spread Person-to-Person
April 3, 2023 — The bacteria found in the deadly and blindness-causing eyedrops that were recalled earlier this year can spread person-to-person. Scientists are worried it could establish itself as a recurrent problem in the United States.
- Recalled Eye Drops Lead to More Deaths, Removals of Eyes
March 23, 2023 — More people have died after using eye drops contaminated with what the CDC calls “a rare strain of an extensively drug-resistant” bacteria.
- 2 Manufacturers Recall Eyedrops Over Safety Concerns
March 7, 2023 — Two manufacturers of eyedrops have recalled products over fears about contamination and sterility. The FDA issued recall notices last week for eyedrops made by Pharmedica and Apotex after the companies said they were voluntarily recalling the products.
- 10 New Cases of Avian Flu in Mammals Reported
March 1, 2023 — More animals have been detected with the H5N1 avian flu, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reports. The department’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, which maintains a list of detections of avian flu, has recently added 10 new cases from four states and including five species.
- FDA Broadens Warning on Potentially Contaminated Eye Products
February 22, 2023 — The agency says Delsam Pharma’s Artificial Eye Ointment may be contaminated with bacteria.
- Eyedrops Could Prevent Nearsightedness in Kids
February 14, 2023 — Atropine drops are used to relax eye muscles and dilate the pupils. Using a low concentration could prevent myopia, or nearsightedness, in children, says the research in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
- Recall: EzriCare Eyedrops Linked to Bacterial Outbreak
February 1, 2023 — A bacterial outbreak linked to eyedrops has caused one death and sickened at least 50 people in 11 states, the CDC says. Some patients have been hospitalized and some are now permanently blind.
- What FDA Input Means for Risks and Benefits of LASIK
January 17, 2023 — While patients who have had post-surgery problems amplify the FDA’s warnings, doctors say it remains a relatively safe and very effective procedure.
- Higher Vitamin D Levels in Brain Tissue Linked to Better Brain Function
December 11, 2022 — In a first of its kind study, higher levels of vitamin D in brain tissue were associated with lower rates of dementia and mild cognitive impairment.
- FDA May Issue Warnings About LASIK Surgery
December 9, 2022 — The FDA proposal pushes for warnings about double vision, dry eyes, ongoing pain, and other issues. It even says people might still need eyeglasses after the surgery.
- Doctor Removes 23 Contact Lenses From Woman's Eye
October 19, 2022 — A California eye doctor is urging people to be more vigilant when wearing contact lenses after removing 23 contact lenses from a patient's eye.