After laser eye surgery, take these precautions to prevent injury or infection:
- Don't take a shower or wash your hair until the day after.
- Avoid getting non-sterile water from shower, hair washing, etc. into your eyes during the first few days after surgery.
- Be careful when you’re in the shower or bath. Be sure to keep soap out of your eye when you wash your hair, and watch out for hair spray and shaving lotion.
- Don’t rub your eyes for at least a month.
- Don't drive until you feel comfortable. Get your doctor’s OK first.
- Wear the eye shield/goggles the doctor gave you while you sleep for the first week.
- Keep tap water out of your eyes for at least a week.
- Avoid pools, whirlpools, saunas, and lakes for at least 3 weeks.
- No eye makeup for at least a week. Toss out partly used products to avoid an infection.
- Don't get your hair colored or permed for at least 10 days.
- No exercise for two days.
- Wear eye protection for at least a month once you start exercise and sports activities again.
- Your eyes will likely be sensitive to light for a while. Dark suinglasses are helpul.
- Avoid dirty and dusty environments for 7 days.
- Bright sunshine may cause scarring, so wear sunglasses on bright days for at least a year.
When Should I Call a Doctor?
If you have any questions, or if there’s pain, a sudden decrease in vision, redness, or discharge from your eye, contact your doctor right away.