Menu

Battery Ingestion Treatment

Medically Reviewed by Sabrina Felson, MD on November 01, 2021

Call 911 if the person is:

1. Get Help Immediately

  • Call the National Battery Ingestion Hotline at 800-498-8666 (collect, if necessary) or Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222, or go to your local emergency department.
  • If possible, bring the battery package or a matching battery.
  • In most cases, you will be advised to get an X-ray immediately.

2. Keep the Person Safe

  • Do not induce vomiting.
  • Do not let the person eat or drink until an X-ray has been done.

3. Follow Up

The next steps depend on the X-ray results.

  • If the X-ray shows the battery is in the esophagus, it will be removed immediately with an endoscopy.
  • If it shows the battery is in the stomach, the person may not need medical treatment. The battery should pass through their stool. However, if they are back home and develops fever, abdominal pain, vomiting, or blood in the stools, go to the emergency room immediately.
  • An X-ray may be needed after 48 hours or more if there was no immediate treatment, to make sure the battery has been pooped out.

Show Sources

SOURCES:

National Capital Poison Center: "Swallowed a Button Battery? Battery in the Nose or Ear?"

Energizer: "Product Safety Data Sheet."

Grosse Pointe Audiology: "Now Hear This: Swallow A Battery? Act Fast."

Kansas University Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics: "Kid Tips -- Swallowed Object (Foreign Body)."

Battery Ingestion Information from eMedicineHealth.

© 2021 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved. View privacy policy and trust info