1. Treat Symptoms
2. Get Medical Help
See a healthcare provider to make sure there is no further damage to the eye.
Call a healthcare provider immediately if:
- The person's vision is blurred, double, or lost in either eye.
- The person is in severe pain.
- You suspect a serious eye injury.
- There is drainage or bleeding on the white part of the eye or drainage from the eye.
- The eyeball or pupil looks abnormal.
- Skin around the eye is split or there is a cut on the eyelid.
3. Follow Up
- Continue icing the area several times a day for 1 or 2 days.
- After 1 or 2 days, apply warm compresses to the bruised area instead.
- Depending on the injury, the provider may prescribe eye drops and recommend follow up with an eye doctor.