Black Eye Treatment

Medically Reviewed by Carol DerSarkissian, MD on March 17, 2024
1 min read

See a healthcare provider to make sure there is no further damage to the eye.

Call a healthcare provider immediately if:

  • The person's vision is blurred, double, or lost in either eye.
  • The person is in severe pain.
  • You suspect a serious eye injury.
  • There is drainage or bleeding on the white part of the eye or drainage from the eye.
  • The eyeball or pupil looks abnormal.
  • Skin around the eye is split or there is a cut on the eyelid.
  • Continue icing the area several times a day for 1 or 2 days.
  • After 1 or 2 days, apply warm compresses to the bruised area instead.
  • Depending on the injury, the provider may prescribe eye drops and recommend follow up with an eye doctor.