Call 911 if:
1. Stop the Bleeding if Necessary
- Apply firm pressure to the wound area with a clean cloth until bleeding stops.
- If bone is pushing through skin, do not touch it or try to put it back in place.
2. Reduce Swelling
- Apply ice.
- Elevate the arm above the heart, if possible.
3. Immobilize Arm
For less serious injuries:
- Cut away the sleeve if it cannot be removed without moving the injured arm.
- If you can without moving the arm, carefully tape it to rolled-up newspaper or a ruler with first aid tape.
4. See a Health Care Provider Immediately
5. Follow Up
- The health care provider will likely take X-rays and may apply a cast or splint.
- Surgery may be needed to reset the bone or realign broken pieces.
- A bone that has broken through the skin will require cleaning and possibly surgery.