1. Do CPR, if Necessary
2. Protect From Further Injury
3. Immobilize Leg
- If you have been trained in how to apply a splint, do it.
- Secure leg with stiff padding, such as wadded-up blankets or towels, held in place with heavy objects. Padding should extend above the hip and below the knee.
- If no materials are available, place one hand behind the person’s knee and your other arm along the top of the thigh, so your hand is just below the pelvic area.
4. Look for Signs of Shock
Treat for shock if the person has:
- Pale, clammy skin
- Glazed eyes
- Rapid and shallow breathing