Call 911 if:
- The person has difficulty breathing.
- The upper and lower jaws don't meet properly.
- There is an open wound with exposed bone.
- The person has blurred or double vision or trouble moving his or her eyeballs.
1. Get Medical Help Immediately
2. Control Pain and Swelling
- Keep the person's face elevated to allow blood to drain.
- Apply ice for swelling.
3. Follow Up
- The health care provider will examine the person's face and may order X-rays or other imaging tests, including a CT scan.
- The health care provider may immobilize broken bones to help them heal.