Facial Fracture Treatment

Medically Reviewed by Carol DerSarkissian, MD on March 13, 2024
1 min read
  • The person has difficulty breathing.
  • The upper and lower jaws don't meet properly.
  • There is an open wound with exposed bone.
  • The person has blurred or double vision or trouble moving their eyeballs.

You need to see a health care provider for a facial fracture, including a broken nose, jaw, cheekbone, or eye socket.

  • Keep the person's face elevated to allow blood to drain.
  • Apply ice for swelling.
  • The health care provider will examine the person's face and may order X-rays or other imaging tests, including a CT scan.
  • The health care provider may immobilize broken bones to help them heal.
  • Medications may be prescribed to relieve pain and inflammation and prevent infection.
  • Surgery may be needed.