1. Get Medical Help Immediately
- See a doctor or go to a hospital emergency room.
- Sudden, severe pain can be a sign of testicular torsion, a medical emergency.
2. Follow Up
- The doctor will do a physical exam and may do tests such as a urinalysis and ultrasound.
- If there is a bacterial infection, antibiotics will be prescribed.
- To relieve pain and swelling, apply hot or cold packs or take acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn). Avoid ibuprofen and other NSAIDs if the person has heart failure or kidney failure
- Elevating the scrotum in snug briefs or an athletic supporter may ease discomfort.