Menu

Poisoning Treatment

Medically Reviewed by Jennifer Robinson, MD on November 01, 2021

Call 911 if the person:

  • Has collapsed
  • Is having trouble breathing or has stopped breathing
  • Is having seizures or convulsions
  • Is unconscious or not alert

Poisoning in children is serious. Get emergency help immediately if you think a child has taken poison and they’re acting differently or you have any other concerns.

Call Poison Control if:

Call the poison control center at 800-222-1222 if the person has done any of these things and is alert:

  • Swallowed too much medicine or the wrong kind
  • Inhaled poison
  • Gotten poison on the skin or in the eye
  • Swallowed a household product or other chemical

You may not be sure whether a child has ingested something. Call poison control if they are alert and:

  • Have pieces of pills on clothes or lips
  • Have a strange smell
  • Are vomiting
  • Are drooling a lot
  • Are confused
  • Have no energy

Treat Symptoms as Directed

Follow the instructions of emergency personnel or poison control.

WebMD Medical Reference

Sources

SOURCES:

American Association of Poison Control Centers: "First Aid Tips."

American Academy of Pediatrics: "Tips for Poison Prevention and Treatment."

Connecticut Poison Control Center: "Emergency Information."

CDC: "Tips to Prevent Poisonings."

The Nemours Foundation: "Poisoning."

American Academy of Family Physicians: "Poisoning."

© 2021 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
Click to view privacy policy and trust info
Scroll Down for the Next Article