To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- When did the dehydration problem start?
- What activities cause you to feel dehydrated?
- Have you had a hard time getting enough fluids or holding down fluids because of vomiting, diarrhea, or fever?
- If vomiting or diarrhea is causing your dehydration, how many episodes have you had in the last 24 hours? When was the last episode of vomiting or diarrhea?
- Has nausea kept you from taking in enough fluids?
- What prescription and nonprescription medicines do you take?
- Have you been using water pills (diuretics) or laxatives?
- What have you tried so far to help you rehydrate?
- What activities related to sports or work make your symptoms better or worse?
- Do you have any health risks?