1 5-lb. watermelon
1 cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup water
2 teaspoons pickling spice
½ cup sugar
4 teaspoons kosher salt
¼ cup candied ginger
2 cinnamon sticks
4 black peppercorns
- Cut watermelon into 1-inch slices.
- Remove most of the fruit and leave ¼ inch on the rind.
- Slice off the green skin, but leave the white part and cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Fill glass canning jars with chunks--about 2 quarts.
- Make the brine: add remaining ingredients to pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Pour brine over the watermelon.
- Refrigerate 24 hours, then serve.