photo of surgeon tying on cap
In This Article

It’s important to see your doctor or find a specialist when you first notice signs of Peyronie’s disease, a condition where scar tissue develops on the penis, causing curved and sometimes painful erections. Early treatment can help lessen pain and symptoms and prevent them from getting worse.  

If you’ve had Peyronie’s disease for a while, it’s still important to seek care. A doctor can help you find ways to manage or improve your symptoms and lessen their impact on your life. 

Here’s a look at different types of doctors, specialists, and care providers who can diagnose and treat Peyronie’s disease. 

Primary Care or Family Doctor

Your primary care or family doctor is a great place to start when you first notice signs of Peyronie’s disease. Be sure to share your symptoms, other changes in your body, and/or concerns with them. They can perform a physical examination, schedule you for tests if needed, and refer you to a doctor who specializes in Peyronie’s disease.


A urologist is a doctor who specializes in conditions that affect men's and women’s urinary tract and the male reproductive system, including the penis. 

 Your primary care doctor can refer you to a urologist, or you can find one on your own. 

In most cases, a urologist will be the main doctor treating your Peyronie’s disease. They will diagnose the condition, prescribe treatments, and follow your progress. 

There are many treatment options for Peyronie’s disease, including pills, creams, and medications that are injected into the penis. Doctors usually start with these easy treatments first. 

Penile traction and vacuum therapy, which are like physical therapy for the penis, are also options. Your urologist will discuss the treatment options with you and recommend one based on your symptoms, how curved the penis is during your erection, your level of pain, and other things, like how the disease is impacting your life. 

Once you and your doctor have decided on the treatment, your doctor will prescribe the medication, creams, etc., and follow up to see how it is working. If one treatment doesn’t work, you can try others. 


If you do not respond well to the medicines and creams offered for Peyronie’s disease and your symptoms last for a year or more, your doctor may suggest surgery. Your urologist may be trained to do surgeries to treat Peyronie’s disease, or they may refer you to a surgeon with expertise in this area. 

Different types of surgery are available for Peyronie’s disease, including procedures to remove scar tissue on the penis and penile implants to help with your erection. Each procedure has different benefits and risks, so a surgeon will discuss your options and make a recommendation based on your unique case. 

Other Care Providers

While your urologist or primary care doctor will lead the way in treating your Peyronie’s disease, you may get care from other providers.

Pharmacist: If your primary care doctor or urologist prescribes pills or creams to treat your Peyronie’s disease, you will see a pharmacist to fill your prescription and get the medication. 

The pharmacist can answer general questions about how and when to take the medicine or use the cream and offer information about possible side effects. 

Ultrasound or X-ray technician: When diagnosing or determining the status of your Peyronie’s disease, your doctor may order X-ray or ultrasound images, which allow them to see inside the penis. This information can help them see how severe the disease is, if it is getting better or worse, and help them determine the best treatment.  

Psychologist: If you have Peyronie’s disease, you may have difficulty having sex or getting and maintaining erections, and the disease can lead to erectile dysfunction. These changes can affect your confidence and self-esteem. They can also create stress and anxiety, impact your relationships, or possibly lead to depression. It may be helpful to speak with a therapist or psychologist about how the disease is impacting your life, if possible. 

Psychologists and therapists help people with mood disorders, depression, and the challenges of living with chronic or long-term medical conditions. You can find a therapist or psychologist through your doctor or urologist, ask friends and family for a recommendation, or go online to research either local or virtual options. 

Show Sources

Photo Credit: monkeybusinessimages / Getty Images


Yale Medicine: “Peyronie’s disease. (Fact sheet.)”

Cleveland Clinic: “Urologist.” 

UCLA Health: “The Men’s Clinic at UCLA is a world leader in Peyronie’s Disease (PyD) management and research.”

Mayo Clinic: “Peyronie’s disease.”

Mayo clinic: “Urology.”

National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases: “Penile Curvature (Peyronie’s disease).”

Weill Cornell Medicine: “Urology: Peyronie’s disease – Treatment Options.”

Northeastern University: “What Do Pharmacists Do? Roles and Responsibilities.”

American Psychological Association: “What do practicing psychologists do?”