Migraines Headaches Medical Reference
Herbal Supplements for Migraine: What to Know
- Migraine Details Your Doctor Should Know
Treatment can help you manage your migraine pain. Here’s what to tell your doctor about your headaches.
- How to Manage Migraine Episodes
You don’t have to suffer through symptoms. Try these treatment options and relaxation techniques next time a migraine hits.
- Self-Care Strategies During and After Your Migraine
Keep migraine symptoms to a minimum with muscle relaxation, temperature therapy, and other self-care techniques.
- How to Talk to Your Doctor About Recurring Migraines
Do you have migraines that keep coming back? Here’s what you should tell your doctor, plus some questions you might want to ask.
- Nondrug Treatments for Migraines
Learn ways to manage migraine attacks without medication.
- When Your Migraine Treatment Doesn't Work
Find out what your options are when your migraine treatment plan isn't doing the job.
- Migraine and Intimacy
Migraine can take a toll on your sex life. WebMD shows you how to reignite the passion.
- Complications of Chronic and High-Frequency Episodic Migraines
If you get migraines regularly and often, they can affect your physical, emotional, and professional life in significant ways. Find out how to manage those complications.
- Physical Therapy for Migraine
Migraines can cause intense and draining symptoms. For some people with migraine headaches, physical therapy has proved to ease some discomfort.
- The Link Between Migraine and Dehydration
If you’ve ever wondered whether dehydration could trigger a migraine, here’s what you need to know and what to do to prevent it.
- Plant-Based Diets for Migraine
Learn what the research says about how diets based on plants could help people with migraine.
- Massage Therapy for Migraine
Can massage ease the throbbing pain of migraine? Studies show it can -- and may even help stop it in its tracks. Here’s how, and the best types to try.
- Chronic Migraine and Employment
If you have chronic migraine, you know how disabling it can be. But many employers don’t. Here’s how to level the playing field for yourself.
- Yoga for Migraine
Here’s a look at why yoga can help when you have migraine, plus top types and poses to try (as well as what to avoid).
- Antiemetics for Migraine With Nausea
You don’t have to put up with symptoms. Learn more about prescription and over-the-counter options.
- What Is a Migrainous Infarction?
A migrainous infarction is a stroke that happens during a migraine with aura attack. Learn the symptoms, treatments, and more.
- Self-Care for Chronic Migraine
Frequent or chronic migraine attacks need more than medication. Here’s what you can do for your migraine and avoid migraine triggers.
- Biofeedback for Migraine
Biofeedback is a type of mind-body therapy technique that uses sensors to detect the body's responses such as stress and tension. If you have migraine, biofeedback can help you train your body to reduce, control, or prevent headaches.
- Can You Go to the ER for Migraine?
Sudden, severe migraine attacks may send you to the emergency room. Find out what you can expect if you go.
- Exercise When You Have Chronic Migraine
Chronic migraines can disrupt day-to-day life. Besides medications, research shows that physical exercise can substantially reduce the pain and frequency of severe migraine attacks.
- Ergot Alkaloids for Migraine
What are ergot alkaloids? If you have severe, throbbing headaches, these drugs might help when others don’t.
- CGRP Inhibitors for Migraine
The introduction of new drugs provides an exciting new option to prevent migraine, and the results are impressive.
- Beta-Blockers for Migraine
Learn how these drugs can stop migraines from happening.
- Can Trigger Point Injections Relieve Your Migraine Pain?
Trigger point injections can relieve pain for some people with migraines. Here’s how they work, who they can help, and where to get them.
- Nerve Release Surgery for Migraine
If migraine treatments aren’t working, you may want to look into a long-term fix. Nerve decompression surgery could possibly give you permanent relief.
- Nerve Stimulation Devices for Chronic Migraine Treatment
Tried everything for your chronic migraines? If drugs don’t help, take a look at electrical nerve stimulation.
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Migraine
Find out how you can use transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to relieve your chronic migraine.
- Is It a Migraine or a Brain Tumor?
You may wonder whether your bad headache is a migraine or possibly a brain tumor. Find out how to tell the difference -- and when to get medical help.
- Chronic or High-Frequency Migraines: What Are the Triggers?
Figure out your triggers to try and manage chronic migraine or high-frequency migraine.
- What Are High-Frequency Episodic Migraines?
Migraine is a neurological condition in which you have recurring severe headaches. Some people also get bouts of nausea, weakness, and sound and light sensitivity. If you get migraine attacks anywhere between 10 to 14 times a month, your doctor may call this high-frequency episodic migraine.
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in People of Color
People of color often get inadequate migraine care and are too often absent from research studies. Learn why, plus how we can address this disparity.
- Migraine vs. Cluster Headache
Learn how to tell the difference between these two headache types.
- Migraine Epidemiology by Gender, Race, and Ethnicity
Who do migraines affect more: women or men? And how do these numbers vary by race or ethnicity? Get the answers here.
- Migraine Medication Overuse
What you need to know about migraine medication overuse, the possible risks, and how to prevent it.
- Chronic Migraine and Your Mental Health
Learn about the connection between chronic migraine, depression, and anxiety, and what you need to know to feel better
- Simple Ways to Head Off Migraine Pain
Weather, foods and drinks, and stress are just some of the things that can set off migraines. Learn your own migraine triggers and how to manage them.
- When Treatments for Migraine Don’t Work
If your first treatments for migraine headache pain aren’t effective, what are your options? Learn what medications and self-care methods may help.
- How Consistency May Help You Avoid Migraines
Sticking to a routine can help ward off migraines or make them less frequent or painful. Here’s how to make a disruption-proof routine and feel better.
- Enjoying a Night Out With Friends When You Have Migraines
With lifestyle changes and planning, it’s possible to live with migraines and enjoy time with your friends.
- 5 age-defying skin care habits that also relieve migraine pain
These five skin care tips can help with migraines while also providing anti-aging benefits that promote healthy skin.
- CBD Oil and Migraine: What You Need to Know
But before you try CBD oil for migraine headaches, learn what the research says and what the health risks are.
- 7 Ways Owning a Dog Can Help if You Have Migraines
Your dog can help your mental and physical health, especially if you have migraines. Learn about how these pets can improve your quality of life.
- Migraines: How the Pandemic Changed the Doctor-Patient Relationship
The COVID-19 pandemic is changing the doctor-patient relationship. If you have migraines or severe headaches, telehealth services are now an option to continue your medical care safely.
- Costs of Migraine
Financial costs to anticipate with diagnosis of chronic migraine plus medication, lifestyle changes, alternative medicine, and lost work time.
- What to Know About Occipital Nerve Block
Find out what you need to know about an occipital nerve block, and discover the pros, cons, risks, and benefits, and how it may affect health.
- Who to Call for Help With Your Episodic Migraine
Episodic migraines -- painful, frequent headaches that can last for hours -- aren't something you can manage alone. These are the people who can help.
- Migraine Treatments Overview
Sometimes all it may take to ease your migraine pain is a quick nap or a rest in a cool, dark place with a chilled cloth on your forehead. But if that doesn’t help, you and your doctor have a range of treatment options, either to stop a migraine attack or to prevent it from starting.
- When Migraines Get Worse
Migraine can change over the years for better or worse. Learn more about how it could progress and when to get help.
- Dos and Don'ts When a Migraine Starts
When a migraine is on the way, you may be able to stop it or keep it from getting worse. Find out what you can do to prepare.