Parkinson's Medical Reference
- What to Know About Dopamine Agonists for Parkinson's Disease
Find out what you need to know about dopamine agonists. Discover the pros, cons, risks, and benefits of this treatment.
- What’s Rigidity in Parkinson’s Disease?
Rigidity is a leading symptom of Parkinson’s disease. Learn about the symptoms, treatment, and more.
- What Is Hypokinesia?
Hypokinesia is a decrease in the range or amplitude of movements. Learn about what causes it, what to expect, and more.
- Parkinson's: When the Visuals and Voices Affect Sleep
Lack of sleep contributes to in hallucinations, a key feature of Parkinson’s disease psychosis. Find out ways to sleep better so you can reduce hallucinations -- and how you can reduce hallucinations to sleep better.
- Parkinson’s: What Are the Cognitive Changes?
Parkinson’s can affect how your body moves, but how does it change your memory, speech, or ability to make your morning cup of coffee? Drops in some brain chemicals can affect how you think, remember, complete tasks, or function. Find out the latest medications to treat cognitive changes or therapy to help you to cope with them.
- Parkinson’s Disease and Hallucinations
If you have Parkinson’s disease, you may develop hallucinations and delusions as the disease progresses. Find out how you and your caregivers can manage them.
- Caring for Your Mental Health With Parkinson’s
An important part of life with Parkinson’s is taking care of your mental health. Learn more about managing depression, hallucinations, delusions, and behavior issues.
- Recognize Depression and Anxiety in Parkinson’s
About half the people with Parkinson’s disease also have depression and anxiety. Learn how to spot these symptoms and what you can do about them.
- Parkinson's: How to Talk About Your Non-Movement Experience
Parkinson’s causes symptoms that you can’t see, like depression and cognitive changes. Here’s how to discuss these issues with your loved ones.
- How to Manage Parkinson's Non-Movement Symptoms
Along with the tremors and stiffness, most people with Parkinson’s disease develop other issues. Here’s how to manage them.
- Tips to Manage Your Parkinson's Motor Fluctuations
Living with Parkinson’s disease can feel overwhelming. Find out what you can do to deal with motor fluctuations you may experience.
- Treat Parkinson's Motor Fluctuations
If your Parkinson's symptoms start to come back after you've been controlling them for years with medicine, you have lots of ways to get help. You may need to try a different dose of your current drugs, additional medications, lifestyle changes, or other strategies.
- How to Keep a Parkinson's Motor Fluctuations Diary
Find out what kind of information you need to track in order to help you and your doctor figure out the best way to treat your Parkinson's motor fluctuations.
- What Are Parkinson's Disease Motor Fluctuations?
If your Parkinson's symptoms have returned after you've been getting treatment for a while, you may have motor fluctuations. Learn the causes and the types.
- Parkinson's Tremors
If you have Parkinson’s disease, you may find that your hands, feet, or jaw shake. Here are five types of Parkinson’s tremors and how you can manage them with medication or surgery.
- What Is Dyskinesia in Parkinson's Disease?
Jerky movements you can’t control, called dyskinesia, are one side effect of treatment for Parkinson’s disease. It doesn’t happen to everyone, but some things may make it more likely.
- Preventing Dyskinesia in Parkinson's Disease
You may have sudden, uncontrolled movements with Parkinson's disease. There are things you can do to help prevent these tremors, called dyskinesia.
- Treatments for Dyskinesia in Parkinson's Disease
Uncontrolled shaking and other movements called dyskinesia are a side effect of some Parkinson's treatments. Learn how to manage these movements.
- Should I Take Levodopa?
Levodopa is the most common medicine for Parkinson’s symptoms, but it’s also linked with a side effect called dyskinesia, jerking movements you can’t control. That makes some people question whether they should take the medicine at all.
- What Is Parkinson's Disease?
Learn how Parkinson's disease affects your brain and body and what to expect from tests and treatment.
- Tips for Living With Parkinson’s Disease
Dealing with the challenges of Parkinson’s disease is not easy. Learn about how to make a routine that can benefit your health and movement.
- What Are Parkinson’s Plus Syndromes?
Not all cases of Parkinson’s disease are alike. Some can cause different symptoms than the usual disease.
- Parkinson's Disease: A Caregiver's Checklist for Daily Care
When you're a caregiver for someone with Parkinson's disease, your job may change often. Use this checklist to make daily care easier.
- Parkinson's Disease and Guided Imagery
WebMD discusses how guided imagery techniques can benefit those with Parkinson's disease.
- Parkinson’s Disease: Driving a Car
WebMD discusses the important issue of driving when you have Parkinson’s Disease. Learn tips for safety and when you should stop driving.
- Parkinson's Disease and Swallowing Problems
Many people with Parkinson's disease have difficulty swallowing because they lose control of their mouth and throat muscles. Learn more about why it happens and what you can do about it.
- 10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Parkinson's Disease
If you've just been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, here are some questions you should consider asking your doctor.
- Parkinson's Disease Research
A look at research into new treatment options for Parkinson's disease.
- Physical and Occupational Therapy for Parkinson's Disease
WebMD explains the benefits of physical and occupational therapy for those living with Parkinson's disease.
- Parkinson's Disease and Problems With Sex
How Parkinson's disease can affect your sexuality -- and what you can do about it.
- Parkinson's Disease and Progressive Supranuclear Palsy
WebMD describes the symptoms of a rare neurogenerative disease called progressive supranuclear palsy.
- How Parkinson’s Disease Progresses
Parkinson’s disease doesn’t move in a straight line, so it can be hard to know what’s coming next. Learn why it’s so hard to predict and how its symptoms may change over time.
- How to Take Your Parkinson's Disease Drugs
- What Are the Treatments for Parkinson's Disease?
Find out about the treatments for Parkinson's disease, including drugs like levodopa (L-dopa) and dopamine agonists.
- Understanding Parkinson's Disease -- the Basics
Get the basics on Parkinson's disease from the experts at WebMD.
- Understanding Parkinson's Disease -- Symptoms
Learn about the symptoms of Parkinson's disease from the experts at WebMD.
- An Overview of Parkinson's Disease
WebMD provides an overview of Parkinson's disease, including information about young-onset PD.
- Parkinson's Disease and Pneumonia
Pneumonia can be a complication of Parkinson's disease. Learn about the different types of pneumonia, the symptoms, causes, and how they're treated.
- Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson's Disease
Find out what DBS is, how it helps relieve symptoms of Parkinson's, what the surgery is like, and what you can expect from it.
- Parkinson's Disease and Nursing Home Care
What you need to know and ask about nursing home care for people with Parkinson's disease.
- Prevent Falls And Maintain Balance With Parkinson's Disease
If you or a loved one has Parkinson's disease, WebMD offers tips to help you maintain your balance and prevent falls at home and elsewhere.
- Parkinson's Disease and Assisted Living
WebMD explains what you need to ask when considering assisted living for a person with Parkinson's disease.
- Adapting Your Home for Parkinson's Disease
Tips for adapting your home to make it easier to live with Parkinson's disease.
- Parkinson's Disease and Gamma Knife Treatment
WebMD explains the use of gamma knife therapy for treatment of Parkinson's disease symptoms.
- Parkinson's Disease and the CT Scan
If you have Parkinson's disease, find out what to expect if you need a CT scan.
- Parkinson's Disease and Lightheadedness
Why is lightheadedness a common problem in those with Parkinson's disease? Learn more about orthostatic hypotension.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Parkinson's Disease
These frequently asked questions about Parkinson's disease cover such topics as deep brain stimulation and coping strategies.
- What Causes Parkinson's Disease?
WebMD explains the possible causes of Parkinson's disease.