Childhood Liver Cancer Treatment (PDQ®): Treatment - Patient Information [NCI] - General Information About Childhood Liver Cancer
Certain factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options.
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:
- The stage of the cancer (the size of the tumor, whether it affects part or all of the liver, and whether it has spread to other places in the body, such as the lungs).
- Whether the cancer can be removed completely by surgery.
- The type of liver cancer.
- Whether the cancer has just been diagnosed or has recurred.
Prognosis may also depend on:
- Certain features of the cancer cell (how it looks under a microscope).
- Whether the AFP blood levels go down after chemotherapy begins.
Childhood liver cancer may be cured if the tumor is small and can be completely removed by surgery. Complete removal is possible more often for hepatoblastoma than for hepatocellular carcinoma.