Malignant Mesothelioma Treatment (PDQ®): Treatment - Patient Information [NCI] - General Information About Malignant Mesothelioma
Certain factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options.
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:
- The stage of the cancer.
- The size of the tumor.
- Whether the tumor can be removed completely by surgery.
- The amount of fluid in the chest or abdomen.
- The patient's age and general health, including lung and heart health.
- The type of mesothelioma cancer cells and how they look under a microscope.
- Whether the cancer has just been diagnosed or has recurred (come back).