Skip to content

Children's Health

Font Size
A
A
A

Poisoned!

Poison Prevention

Lifesaving Steps continued...

Rouse was also able to remain calm, which helped her act quickly and efficiently. "If Will saw I was upset, he wouldn't feel safe telling me what had really happened." Rouse also managed to accomplish the recommended task of bringing the beads with her to the telephone.

"This is important," says Rose Ann Soloway, RN, ABAT (a non-physician certification in clinical toxicology), associate director of the American Association of Poison Control Centers in Washington. "Parents are often in a hurry to call us, and having to run back and find the poison can really slow down the process."

If your situation is more dire -- if the child has swallowed something extremely toxic and fast-acting -- you may need to administer first aid right away. To speed up this process, Perrin recommends that one adult call Poison Control, while another adult take the following precautions:

  • If poison touches the skin, immediately wash the area with soap and warm water for 10 to 30 minutes. If there is blistering, take the child to the doctor immediately.
  • If a toxic substance gets in the eyes, flush eyes with warm water for 10 minutes.
  • If poison is inhaled, take the child outside for fresh air.
  • If breathing or heartbeat is absent, perform CPR and call 911 immediately.
  • If the child is unconscious or breathing is difficult or labored, call 911.

Poison Control or your pediatrician may recommend calling 911 for transport of the child to an emergency room, depending on the urgency of the situation.

If only one adult is present and the child is in imminent danger, first aid should be administered and 911 notified before calling Poison Control. Always err on the side of assuming the situation is urgent, if you are not sure.

Know the Signs and Hazards

Of course, you can take action only if you are aware of the signs of a poisoning, which can include difficulty breathing or speaking, dizziness, unconsciousness, foaming or burning of the mouth, cramps, nausea, and vomiting.

The younger the child, the more likely that he or she will ingest something dangerous. "Unintentional poisoning in children greatly drops off after 5 years of age," says Soloway. "Before then, you really can't leave your children alone in a room with available toxic agents or expect them to leave something alone when you tell them to."

Today on WebMD

child with red rash on cheeks
What’s that rash?
plate of fruit and veggies
How healthy is your child’s diet?
 
smiling baby
Treating diarrhea, fever and more.
Middle school band practice
Understanding your child’s changing body.
 

worried kid
fitArticle
jennifer aniston
Slideshow
 
Measles virus
Article
sick child
Slideshow
 

Loaded with tips to help you avoid food allergy triggers.

Loading ...

Sending your email...

This feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Thanks!

Now check your email account on your mobile phone to download your new app.

babyapp
New
Child with adhd
Slideshow
 
rl with friends
fitSlideshow
Syringes and graph illustration
Tool