Skip to content

Food Poisoning Health Center

Font Size

Food Poisoning: Vibrio Vulnificus - Topic Overview

What is Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?

Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning is caused by Vibrio vulnificus, a bacterium that lives in warm seawater. The condition is rare.

What causes Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning?

Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning occurs when you eat seafood infected with the bacteria or you have an open wound that is exposed to them. The bacteria are frequently found in oysters and other shellfish in warm coastal waters during the summer months. People who have weak immune systems, especially those with long-term (chronic) liver disease, are at greater risk for this condition than other people.

What are the symptoms?

In healthy people, Vibrio vulnificusfood poisoning can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal (belly) pain. In people who have weak immune systems, the bacteria can infect the bloodstream, causing a severe and life-threatening illness. Symptoms include fever and chills, decreased blood pressure (septic shock), and blistering skin wounds. The infection is especially dangerous to people who have long-term (chronic) liver disease.

If an open wound is exposed to the bacteria (such as from warm seawater), sores may develop. People with weak immune systems are at risk for the bacteria moving into the bloodstream.

How is Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning diagnosed?

Vibrio vulnificus food poisoning is diagnosed based on a medical history and a physical exam. Your doctor will ask you questions about your symptoms, foods you have recently eaten, and your work and home environments. If you have eaten raw seafood, especially oysters, your doctor may do a stool, wound, or blood culture.

How is it treated?

You treat Vibrio vulnificusfood poisoning by managing complications until it passes. Dehydration caused by diarrhea and vomiting is the most common complication. In people who have weak immune systems, or in people who have severe symptoms, antibiotics may be used.

To prevent dehydration, take frequent sips of a rehydration drink (such as Pedialyte). Try to drink a cup of water or rehydration drink for each large, loose stool you have. Soda and fruit juices have too much sugar and not enough of the important electrolytes that are lost during diarrhea, and they should not be used to rehydrate.

Try to stay with your normal diet as much as possible. Eating your usual diet will help you to get enough nutrition. Doctors believe that eating a normal diet will also help you feel better faster. But try to avoid foods that are high in fat and sugar. Also avoid spicy foods, alcohol, and coffee for 2 days after all symptoms have disappeared.

    1|2
    Next Article:

    Food Poisoning: Vibrio Vulnificus Topics

    Today on WebMD

    shopper selecting beef
    Practical tips.
    woman holding abdomen
    Learn the symptoms.
     
    listeria bacteria and cantaloupe
    Learn about listeria.
    kebabs on a barbecue
    Tips for grilling safely.
     
    Are Some Eggs Safer Than Others
    Article
    Do You Need To Wash Bagged Salads
    Video
     
    Woman grilling seafood
    Article
    Organic Food Slideshow
    Slideshow
     

    Explore our newly expanded FDA Center on WebMD for timely information on food safety, allergies, diabetes, vitamins & supplements, and more!

    turkey
    Slideshow
    The Dangers Of E Coli
    Video
     
    Secrets Of Safe Grilling
    Slideshow
    How Long Can You Keep Condiments
    Slideshow
     

    WebMD Special Sections