Heart Disease and Lead Extraction
After the Lead Extraction
- The doctor will remove the sheath.
- You will be admitted to the hospital overnight. You will be placed on a special monitor called telemetry that allows your heart rhythm to be displayed on monitors in the nursing unit.
- If the femoral approach was used, you will need to lay flat in bed for several hours after the procedure.
- The morning after your lead extraction you will have a chest X-ray to check your lungs and the position of any new leads that may have been implanted.
- Before you leave the hospital, your doctor and nurse will talk to you about activity, medications or any follow-up appointments.
© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.