Understanding Heartburn -- Prevention
How Can I Prevent Heartburn?
Heartburn can often be prevented. Follow these tips to help prevent heartburn.
- Maintain a reasonable weight
- Avoid any foods and beverages that worsen your symptoms
- Wear clothes that are loose around the waist
- Eat smaller meals and try not to overeat
- Don't smoke
- Avoid constipation
- Get enough sleep and minimize stress
- Wait three hours after eating before you lie down
- Elevate the head of your bed six to eight inches