The symptoms of chronic pain include:
- Pain that does not go away as expected after an illness or injury.
- Pain that may be described as shooting, burning, aching, or electrical.
- Discomfort, soreness, tightness, or stiffness.
Pain can lead to other problems, such as:
- Fatigue, which can cause impatience and a loss of motivation.
- Sleeplessness, often because the pain keeps you awake during the night.
- Withdrawal from activity and an increased need to rest.
- A weakened immune system, leading to frequent infections or illness.
- Depression, which is common and can make your pain worse.
- Other mood changes, such as hopelessness, fear, irritability, anxiety, and stress.
- Disability, which may include not being able to go to work or school or perform other daily activities.