Quitting Smoking - Thinking About Quitting?
When you're craving tobacco, it's hard to focus on quitting. Preparing yourself before you quit can help. Before you quit, get ready for a life without nicotine.
Think about your reasons for quitting
What would motivate you to quit smoking? Think about it. It's important to have your own reasons for quitting(What is a PDF document?).
Staying healthy is a common reason to want to quit smoking. Or maybe you want to feel more in control of your life, instead of feeling controlled by tobacco. Teens may have other reasons to quit smoking.
Talk to your family and friends about quitting. Their support might help you decide to quit.
Quitting Smoking: Getting Support
Know the risks of smoking
What worries you about smoking? Make a list. Talk about it with your doctor. You may worry about:
Did you know that most all of the health risks of smoking go away if you quit?
Look forward to the rewards
What do you gain by quitting? You can:
- Feel better and be able to do more.
Cough less and have less shortness of breath.
- Have a younger-looking and healthier body.
- Set a good example for others (especially children).
- Save money by getting rid of the cost of smoking. To find out how much you spend on cigarettes, see the Interactive Tool: How Much Is Smoking Costing You?
- Be in control of your habits.
- No longer feel embarrassed about being a smoker.