What Are the Symptoms of Hammertoes?
A toe stuck in an upside-down "V" position is probably a hammertoe.
Some symptoms of a hammertoe include:
- Putting on a shoe hurts the top of the bent toe.
- Corns form on the top of the toe joint.
- The toe joint swells and takes on an angry red color.
- It's hard to move the toe joint -- and it hurts when you try.
- The ball of the foot under the bent toe hurts.
Call Your Doctor About Hammertoes If:
Your feet often hurt. You should see a doctor to learn how to keep your symptoms from worsening.
Foot doctors are called podiatrists. Call one, or ask your doctor for a referral. The earlier you seek treatment, the likelier it is that the problem won't get worse.
If you have diabetes or can't feel your feet well, you may need to have custom shoes to avoid open sores or infections.