Health & Baby Features
Native American Pregnant Women’s Heart Health: Expert’s View
- Why Are Black Mothers at Higher Risk for Miscarriage?
Black mothers have a 43% greater risk for miscarriage. Why? WebMD looks at the biological, social, and cultural factors that play a part.
- How Does Stress Affect Pregnancy?
Normal stress is expected during pregnancy, but find help for serious anxiety, which increases the risk of early birth or later problems.
- Hospitals Train to Curb Maternal Deaths
The maternal mortality rate in the U.S. is the highest among industrialized nations. And it’s three times as common among Black women as in white women in the U.S. Here’s what one New York hospital is doing to train doctors to respond.
- How to Advocate for Yourself as a Pregnant Woman of Color
The maternal mortality rate for Black women in the U.S. is nearly three times higher than it is for white women. If you’re a pregnant Black woman, what can you do to help protect yourself and your baby?
- Putting the Power of Motherhood in Your Hands
How digital research aims to revolutionize maternal-child health.
- Can You Remove Pregnancy Stretch Marks?
Can you get rid of pregnancy stretch marks? Do stretch marks go away? What works to get rid of stretch marks after you’re pregnant? Learn about pregnancy stretch marks and what you can and can’t do to make them look better.
- Are Depression and Anxiety Meds OK During Pregnancy?
Is it safe to take medications for mood disorders when you’re pregnant? The answer, experts say, is complicated.
- Your Pregnancy Depression Risk
Depression during pregnancy is still often overlooked, even though it happens just as frequently as the postpartum variety.
- Reunited: Babies Visit Hospital Staff Who Cared for Them
More than 90 families of babies who spent time in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta reunited in early May to celebrate their progress since they left the hospital.
- Doctor-Approved Tips to Fight Pregnancy Back Pain
From 50% to 70% of women have back pain at some point in their pregnancy. You can ease the ache with these simple tips.
- How Stress Can Hurt Your Chances of Having a Baby
It can be stressful if you can’t seem to get pregnant. But stress itself can hurt your chances of conception.
- The Importance of a Healthy Pregnancy Weight
Before you get pregnant, get as close to a healthy weight as possible to help spare complications for you and your child. Read advice from an OB/GYN.
- Watch: Doctor Flips Pregnant Mom’s Baby Bump
When you’re a mom-to-be, you’re almost guaranteed to feel your growing baby kick or move around some. Then there’s Vanessa Fisher. She felt her unborn son do a complete 180 with a big assist from her doctor.
- What You Need to Care for Your New Baby
About to welcome a new baby? Experts share the products you’ll need -- and the ones you won’t.
- Pregnancy: Why Your Favorite Foods Gross You Out
A lot of women have pregnancy cravings, but there’s also a flip side: food aversions.
- Your Safe Summer Pregnancy
Pregnancy comes with its own set of physical trials and tribulations. Here's how to stay cool during the summer months.
- Episiotomies: What Your Mom Never Knew
Will you really need an episiotomy, and how long will it take to recover? What to know before you give birth.
- Phone Apps for Your Pregnancy
From getting pregnant to timing contractions during labor, there’s an app for nearly every part of your pregnancy.
- 4 Myths About Miscarriages
A look at common myths about miscarriages and what you really need to know about them.
- 5 Things to Do After a Surprise Pregnancy
There’s no need to panic with an unplanned pregnancy. Here are the first 5 things you need to do.
- Is It OK to Eat Peanuts When You're Pregnant?
Until recently, moms-to-be were advised to stay away from potentially allergy-inducing foods. But times have changed, and so has the thinking about allergy prevention.
- Exercise in Pregnancy: How Much Is Too Much?
Moderate exercise is good, but you can't forget you have a baby on board.
- When Men Get Postpartum Depression
Yes, men too can get depression after baby arrives. Learn to recognize the symptoms.
- Trying to Conceive? Lose Extra Weight First
Overweight and obese mothers are more at risk for pregnancy complications, as well as birth defects.
- Deciding When to Have a Baby
Focus on getting healthy before you decide to get pregnant.
- After Miscarriage: How Long Should You Wait?
Doctors say you can start trying to get pregnant again as soon as you're ready.
- The Truth About Pregnancy Stretch Marks
Along with a new baby, there are the many physical changes you’ll see. Chief among them is stretch marks. For many women, stretch marks are as much a part of having a baby as diapers and feedings.
- Hair Care During Pregnancy
Pregnant and want a new flair for that hair? Read more on what to do and not to do with your hair.
- Cord Blood Banking
Find answers to common questions parents have about banking their newborn's umbilical cord blood.
- Can Your Stress Affect Your Fetus?
As it turns out, constant pressure may put your baby at risk.
- Health Essentials Checklist
If you're considering getting pregnant, make sure you see your doctor first.
- Is Natural Birth for You?
Going "drug-free" offers plenty of benefits, but you also need to plan ahead.
- Are You Ready to Have Children?
Not sure if it's time to get pregnant? Ask yourself these four questions before you get pregnant.
- Do You Want to Deliver Your Baby Early?
More women today are asking for early induced labor, but you could put your baby in danger.
- The Truth About Prenatal Nutrition and Fitness
Eat for two when you're pregnant? Skip your workout? Our expert tells you what you need to know.
- Melissa Joan Hart Talks Pregnancy and Childbirth
Now pregnant with her third child, the actress tells us how she feels and what she's planning for labor and delivery.
- What’s in a (Baby) Name?
It can be tough to choose a name. Here's how to make the process easier.
- 7 Most Embarrassing Pregnancy Symptoms
Experts offer tips for coping with embarrassing pregnancy symptoms.
- Birthing Classes: Which Style Is for You?
How to find a class and instructor that match your personal philosophy of pregnancy and delivery, especially when it comes to the use of pain medications or medical intervention.
- Is It Safe to Have Sex During Pregnancy?
Having sex during pregnancy is definitely safe, says our expert, as long as you take certain precautions.
- What Can I Do About Morning Sickness?
Our baby expert gives helpful hints for dealing with pregnancy nausea .
- Going Back to Work After Baby
How to find child care, communicate with your boss, and figure out your new priorities.
- Danica McKellar Talks Pregnancy, Childbirth -- and Algebra
The math whiz and Wonder Years star has added a new role to her impressive résumé: mom
- Building an Earth-Friendly Baby Nursery
Designing your baby's room: Bring your newborn home to an environmentally-friendly nursery.
- Got Pregnancy? Get Exercise
The right kinds of exercise are key to staying fit, healthy, and happy during your pregnancy.
- 6 Must-Eat Foods for Pregnancy
Want to eat right during pregnancy? Make sure these six super foods are on your menu.
- The Top 7 Pregnancy Myths
If you're pregnant, can you color your hair? Get a flu shot? Have sex? Here's what the experts say about the top old wives' tales about pregnancy.
- Alanis Morissette Gets Ready to Rock Her Baby
Alanis Morissette reveals how pregnancy has helped her learn to slow down, eat up, and look at her body in a whole different way.
- Alanis Morissette Works on Her Night Moves
Used to rocking and writing long past her bedtime, the mom-to-be/musician is taking her night life to a new level.