Health & Baby Medical Reference
- The Difference Between Giving Birth in a Birthing Center vs. a Hospital
Find out the differences between a hospital and a birthing center for giving birth. Learn their advantages and risks and how to choose between them.
- When Can a Fetus Feel Pain in the Womb?
Are you curious about fetal pain and when a fetus can feel pain in the womb? Read our guide to find out the facts.
- What to Know About a Birth Center
Learn what happens when you deliver a baby at a birth center instead of a hospital and find out how to pick a safe, responsible center.
- What Is Colostrum?
Find out what you need to know about colostrum, its benefits, functions, and more.
- What Is a Yolk Sac in Pregnancy?
The yolk sac plays an important part in the early stages of pregnancy. Find out what it does and how it works.
- What to Know About Childbirth Trauma
Find out what you need to know about childbirth trauma, including common causes, signs to watch for, and treatment options.
- What Is an Anterior Placenta During Pregnancy?
An anterior placenta is a condition where the placenta is located at the front of the uterus. Know more about the causes and possible effects of this condition.
- What to Know About Teratogens and Birth Defects
Learn more about teratogens and birth defects in our guide.
- What to Know About Spider Veins During Pregnancy
What causes spider veins to appear in your legs during pregnancy?
- What to Know About Nitrous Oxide for Labor and Delivery
Learn about the ways nitrous oxide is used in the labor and delivery suite.
- What to Know About Opioids for Pain Relief During Labor
Learn about using opioids for pain relief during labor, the pros and cons of opioids, and other pain relief options available.
- What to Know About Meditation During Pregnancy
What are the benefits of meditation during pregnancy? Find out everything you need to know.
- What to Know About Eating and Drinking During Labor
Can you eat and drink during labor? Discover the pros and cons and what doctors have to say about it.
- What to Know About Continuous Support During Childbirth
What to know about continuous support during childbirth. Are there benefits and drawbacks to having continuous support?
- What To Know About a Birthing Stool
What to know about birthing stools and chairs: their history, how to use them, and more.
- What to Know About Mercury While Pregnant or Breastfeeding
Find out what you need to know about mercury and its dangers. Learn about the hazards of mercury compounds while you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- What to Know About a Breech Baby
Find out what you need to know about breech babies and their problems. Learn about your birthing options and the advantages and risks of each.
- What Is Elective Labor Induction?
Learn about the ins and outs of elective labor induction.
- What is Large for Gestational Age (LGA)?
Large for gestational age is when a fetus or newborn is larger than expected. Learn more about what causes it, what to expect, and more.
- What is Lactation?
Lactation is when your body produces milk. Learn more about what causes it, what to expect, and more.
- What Are Sterile Water Injections for Labor Pain?
Find out what you need to know about the sterile water injected to tame back labor pains. This is a safe, natural method of managing pain during childbirth.
- What Are the Pros and Cons of Epidurals During Childbirth?
Find out what you need to know about epidurals during childbirth and discover how they may affect health.
- What Is Fetal Circulation?
Fetal circulation is adapted to the fetus's situation in the womb. Learn how it is different and the problems it can cause if it persists after birth.
- What to Know About Breastfeeding While Pregnant
Find out what you need to know about breastfeeding while pregnant, as well as its safety, risks, and more.
- What to Know About Drinking Water During Pregnancy
Find out what you need to know about drinking water during pregnancy and discover how it may affect health.
- Tanning While Pregnant: What to Know
Is it okay to get a tan while pregnant? Learn what's safe and what isn't.
- Pregnancy With Cats: What to Know
Learn of the potential problems with having a cat during pregnancy.
- What to Know About Secondhand Smoke and Your Baby
Learn of the effects that secondhand smoke can have on your baby.
- Babies and Choking Hazards: What You Need to Know
Babies put everything in their mouths, but do you know what their choking hazards are and how to prevent them from choking? Learn now.
- How to Choose and Install an Infant Car Seat
Learn how to choose the safest infant car seat, along with installation tips and things to avoid.
- What to Know About Labor and Delivery Nurses
Find out what you need to know about labor and delivery nurses: responsibilities, education, salary, and more.
- What Is Postpartum Perineal Pain?
Learn more about postpartum perineal pain, including symptoms, treatment, and postpartum pain management.
- What is Oligohydramnios?
Discover how oligohydramnios relates to low amniotic fluid levels. Learn the causes, symptoms, and treatment for low amounts of amniotic fluid.
- What is Hydramnios?
Discover the difference between hydramnios and polyhydramnios. Learn the causes, symptoms, and treatment for too much amniotic fluid.
- What to Know About Vulvar Varicosities
Learn more about vulvar varicosities, including causes, symptoms, and treatment.
- What to Know About Varicose Veins in Your Legs During Pregnancy
Learn about how varicose veins affect your legs during pregnancy.
- What Is a PUPPP Rash?
A PUPPP rash is an itchy, hive-like rash encountered during pregnancy. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for this condition today.
- What Is a Cryptic Pregnancy?
Cryptic pregnancies can happen if a woman isn’t aware that she is pregnant. Learn more about what causes cryptic pregnancies and how some women can be pregnant and not know.
- X-Rays During Pregnancy: What to Know
Find out what you need to know about X-rays in pregnancy. Learn about the dangers to your baby and how to avoid them.
- What to Know About Using Essential Oils During Labor
Learn how essential oils can be beneficial during labor and delivery.
- What to Know About Staying Hydrated While Pregnant and Breastfeeding
Find out about your water requirements during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Learn what to drink and eat, and how to avoid the dangers of dehydration.
- What to Know About Polyhydramnios
Find out what you need to know about polyhydramnios and discover its causes, symptoms, treatments, and more.
- Saunas and Jacuzzis During Pregnancy: What to Know
Are there any risks to using saunas and jacuzzis during pregnancy? Find out which safety measures to take when soaking during the first trimester.
- Pregnancy and Bras: What to Know
Learn how maternity bras can help relieve pain during pregnancy and how they’re different from nursing bras.
- What is Placenta Accreta?
Learn the difference between placenta accreta and placenta increta, plus the causes, symptoms, and treatment for a placenta that’s grown into your uterine wall.
- What is Bloody Show?
Bloody show is vaginal discharge that may be tinged with blood. Learn more about what causes it, what to expect, and more.
- What Is Back Labor?
Learn about back labor, including the causes, symptoms, and treatments for this condition.
- What Is Amniotic Fluid?
Amniotic fluid is the liquid that surrounds an unborn baby during pregnancy. Learn more about what it is and what it does.
- What to Know About Pregnancy for Larger Women
Find out the dangers and special precautions for pregnancy as a larger woman. Discover how to have a healthy and happy pregnancy and birth.