Back Pain News
- Injected 'Hydrogel' May Be New Option Against Back Pain
June 9, 2022 — The gel is injected directly into worn discs using X-rays to guide the needle.
- Americans Try Many Things to Ease Chronic Back Pain
May 23, 2022 — Nearly half of all U.S. adults have back pain, and 40% say the pain limits their social activities, according to a new poll.
- Using Anti-Inflammatory Drugs May Prolong Back Pain
May 12, 2022 — A new study questions the conventional wisdom of using steroids and anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen to treat low back pain if exercise and other non-drug therapies don’t work right away. Those medications offer relief from acute pain but may actually increase a person’s chances of developing chronic pain, said the study.
- Your Back Hurts More Than a Neanderthal's and Here's Why
March 25, 2022 — Scientists used to think the curvature of the spine separated modern-day humans from extinct human species, but they just learned that Neanderthals had a huge spinal advantage that can be tapped into.
- Medical Pot May Help You Avoid Opioids for Back Pain, Arthritis
March 22, 2022 — Two new studies show medical marijuana could be a viable alternative to opioid painkillers for people dealing with arthritis or chronic back pain.
- No Evidence Muscle Relaxers Ease Low Back Pain
July 9, 2021 — Millions turn to muscle relaxants for lower back pain relief, but a new study finds little evidence that such drugs actually work.
- Hip Replacement May Also Ease Back Pain
July 9, 2020 — If you have a bad hip and lower back pain, a new study suggests that hip replacement surgery may solve both issues at once.
- Use of Muscle Relaxants for Back Pain Is Soaring
July 1, 2020 — Experts worry that muscle relaxants may not help much and could cause troubling side effects, especially in older patients.
- Drug Might Relieve Low Back Pain in Whole New Way
June 22, 2020 — A new nonopioid pain reliever could be welcome news for people who have difficult-to-treat back pain.
- Expert Panel: 2 Back Pain Surgeries May Be Useless
January 24, 2019 — Two surgeries that inject medical grade cement to broken vertebrae provided provided no clearly significant benefit in pain control over placebo, according to new research.
- Nerve Zap Might Ease Pain of Herniated Disk
November 27, 2018 — A therapy that has been around since the 1980s, combined with modern CT scan technology, may ease back pain through inflammation-reducing pulses of energy sent down the spine with pinpoint accuracy.
- Nerve Root Stimulation May Help Back Pain More
October 16, 2018 — Stimulating a specific set of nerves that are nestled along the spine may deliver relief to those who suffer from chronic back pain and cut the need for opioid painkillers, new research suggests.
- 3 New Genes Linked to Chronic Back Pain
October 1, 2018 — Researchers have identified three genes that play a role in chronic back pain. The findings could shed new light the causes and lead to new treatments for back pain, which is the leading cause of disability around the world.
- Anti-seizure Meds Won't Ease Low Back Pain
July 6, 2018 — Anticonvulsants don't help lower back pain or nerve pain shooting down a leg caused by back problems, a new evidence review has concluded.
- Chiropractic Has Role to Play in Easing Back Pain
May 18, 2018 — Still, at least one pain specialist said more research may be needed to confirm chiropractic's value for lower back pain.
- 'Dance Moms' Star Paralyzed From Spinal Infection
April 18, 2018 — Early Tuesday, Miller underwent nearly five hours of surgery to remove the back part of several vertebrae to relieve pressure on her spinal cord.
- Overcoming Fear of Back Pain May Spur Recovery
April 16, 2018 — Patients in the program reported 50 percent less pain after the treatment. They also reported paying less attention to pain.
- Millions Get Wrong Treatment for Back Pain: Study
March 21, 2018 — Many patients are treated in emergency rooms, told to take time off from work and rest, referred for scans or surgery, and prescribed painkillers that include addictive opioids, the researchers said.
- Electrical Pulses May Ease Pain From 'Slipped' Disc
November 29, 2017 — A new treatment that aims electrical pulses at irritated nerves around the spinal cord appears effective at relieving chronic lower back pain and sciatica, a preliminary study suggests.
- Doubts over common shoulder op
November 21, 2017 — The value of decompression surgery - a common operation designed to reduce shoulder pain - is in doubt.
- Your Robot Masseuse Will See You Now
October 12, 2017 — Device developers say it offers professional quality and cost savings
- Yoga 'as good as physio for back pain'
June 22, 2017 — Yoga is as effective and safe for treating many people with long-term back pain as physiotherapy, according to a study.
- Healing Hands: Massage May Ease Chronic Back Pain
April 14, 2017 — People over 50 tended to respond best, study finds
- Chiropractic Treatment May Help a Bad Back, to a Degree
April 11, 2017 — Review suggests there's no quick fix for this common ailment, with only modest relief seen in most cases
- Drug No Better Than Placebo for Sciatica
March 22, 2017 — Pregabalin, commonly known as Lyrica, didn't help patients with acute sciatica in study
- Common Painkillers Don't Ease Back Pain: Study
February 2, 2017 — Patients who took NSAIDs were also 2.5 times more likely to suffer gastrointestinal side effects
- Low Back Pain Common Among Kids
January 30, 2017 — Sports injuries are just one frequent cause, study finds
- 'Fake Pills' May Help Ease Back Pain
October 19, 2016 — Patients knew they were taking a placebo and still obtained relief, study finds
- Yoga as Good as Physical Therapy for Back Pain
October 4, 2016 — Yoga is as good as physical therapy in reducing chronic low back pain, the most common pain problem in the United States, new research shows.
- Studies Question a Common, Costly Back Surgery
April 13, 2016 — Two new studies out Wednesday cast doubt on whether a common and costly operation used to relieve leg and back pain is always needed.
- Meditation May Help Ease Chronic Low Back Pain
March 22, 2016 — Study found it bested cognitive behavioral therapy and usual care
- Nerve Block Technique Might Help Ease Chronic Back Pain
February 23, 2016 — Small study found half of patients still getting pain relief a year out from treatment
- Mindfulness Might Help Older Adults With Back Pain
February 23, 2016 — Mind-body program was also linked with short-term mobility gains, study finds