Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) (Left to right) yodiyim / Thinkstock, PIXOLOGICSTUDIO / Science Source
2) Springer Medizin / Science Source
3) CNRI / Science Source
4) ZEPHYR / Science Source
5) MEDICAL MEDIA IMAGES / Science Source
6) Nathan Devery / Science Source
7) CNRI / Science Source
8) Southern Illinois University / Science Source
9) Scott Camazine / Medical Images
10) Scott Camazine / Medical Images
11) B&M Noskowski / Getty Images
12) SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY / Science Source
13) Zephyr / Science Source
14) INTELECOM / Science Source
15) ISM / SOVEREIGN / Medical Images
16) BSIP / AMELIE-BENOIST / Medical Images
OrthoInfo: "Spine Basics," "Cervical Fracture (Broken Neck)," "Fractures of the Thoracic and Lumbar Spine," "Low Back Pain," "Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis," "Cauda Equina Syndrome."
Mayo Clinic: "Herniated disk," "Cervical spondylosis," "Osteoarthritis," "Spinal stenosis," "Sciatica," "Vertebral tumor," "Scoliosis," "Kyphosis," "Syringomyelia."
Arthritis Foundation: "What is Ankylosing Spondylitis?"
HHS: "Ankylosing Spondylitis: An Overview."
American Association of Neurological Surgeons: "Spinal Cord Injury."
Medscape: "Cervical Spine Anatomy."
Reviewed by Tyler Wheeler, MD on November 23, 2020
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.